Elster's World

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Weekend Thoughts and Secrets Revealed

- So after a two-hour meeting with management and ownership where he clears the air and learns his job is not in (immediate) jeopardy, Willie's Mets go out and get trounced by the Marlins at home behind awful defense and poor pitching - pretty much all of the reasons Willie's job was in danger to begin with. When Santana flames out tonight (I'm prediciting a 7 inning, 4 run, 11 hit, 2 strikeout gem), can we start the Willie Watch all over again?

- I spend a pretty nice weekend doing pretty much nothing. Which, by the way, isn't necessarily a terrible way to spend your holiday weekend. My daughter finally got untracked in little league, getting off the schneide by reaching in the third on an error, then scoring her first run of the season. She also hit a line shot in the last inning which was snagged by the clearly over aged robo-boy playing shortstop. Good times. All my home tutoring is finally paying dividends.

- Had a very nice BBQ with some old friends last night. Discovered that not only does DB catch Elster's World, but so does Mrs. DB. I was actually flattered. This also expands the count on my "known readers who don't comment" list to at least 5. Therefore, I think I have surpassed. It also means that I will probably try to once again focus this blog on life more and sports less. But I've said that, and failed at that, in the past so we shall see.

- Joe update - So we were invited to good friend of ours for first day Shavuous lunch - they will actually be hosting some other really good friends of ours who will be in from NJ. After my wife accepts the invitation from Hostess, Hostess mentions she will be having one other couple with us - wouldn't you know it, it's couple that feels the need to constantly make fun of my boy. My wife has already put me on notice that if he makes one comment, shes going to turn it into the most uncomfortable Shavuous lunch in history. And I told her I don't blame her. Stay tuned.

10 Comments:

  • "It also means that I will probably try to once again focus this blog on life more and sports less."

    Thank goodness for that. Not only are your "life" posts better, sports is just way too depressing.

    "My wife has already put me on notice that if he makes one comment, shes going to turn it into the most uncomfortable Shavuous lunch in history. And I told her I don't blame her."

    I certainly don't blame her either, though you should carefully think about whether that's the optimal approach for the benefit of your child.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 11:36 AM  

  • Well the thing is, they don't say the things to him, they say them to us. My son doesn't have to listen to this jerk tell him how small he is, how wimpy he is, how bad he is, etc. Only we do. But while I general could care less what ppl say about me (case in point, your constant attacks on my brilliant sports posts) you can't talk badly abuot my children. It's simply against derech eretz.

    I tend to be less confrontational, but this guy is too much. As it is we discourage playdates with this kid and specifically requested they arent togeth in class next year.

    By Blogger Elster, at 11:58 AM  

  • Clearly these people are nuts. It's just a question of what the best response is. I am certainly not suggesting that your wife's intent is wrongheaded - how would I have any idea - just that you think about it between now and then.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 12:24 PM  

  • Thanks - I am not pulling for a fight - and my wife isn't exactly Ms. Killer. But at some point you can only let things slide so much.

    By Blogger Elster, at 12:29 PM  

  • The advange of a pre-emptive strike is that the fight starts on your own terms.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 12:57 PM  

  • We don't roll that way - I have no interest in insulting his obnoxious kid

    By Blogger Elster, at 1:10 PM  

  • Why would you insult a child?

    From what you describe, it seems unlikely that these people will behave properly, and also unlikely that you will be able to avoid interaction will them.

    Therefore, might it not be preferable to confront them - firmly but politely - in advance of Shavuos and make clear that they may not demean your son in any way?

    Otherwise, you will be responding angrily and emotionally.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 1:34 PM  

  • We were actually consdering pulling out of the meal - but i really want to see my friend from out of town.

    The thing is, I belive if I confront them in the manner you suggest (which i thought about and discounted) they will look at me like I have three heads. Like IM the one who is crazy.

    By Blogger Elster, at 1:40 PM  

  • And when you fly off the handle during the meal, they won't?

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 2:09 PM  

  • At least one of their dumbass comments will still be hanging in the air - you can't deny you said something you just said.

    anyway - i'm hoping for one big much ado about nothing. I'll have 2 very good friends at the meal and I can ignore this guy and his famly as necessary.

    By Blogger Elster, at 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home