Elster's World

Monday, May 12, 2008

Non-Sports Weekend Thoughts

- I have the extreme pleasure of hearing Rabbi Lau speak this past Shabbos at the Young Israel of Woodmere. He was fantastic. He told a very interesting story of a meeting he had with David Ben Gurion in 1972. Sadly, I only got to hear him speak once. If ever he returns, I will try to hear him as many times as he speaks.

- After about a month of taking my eldest daughter to little league, the smartest thing I have heard about the experience has been "don't you know, little league is for the parents, not the kids". A more poignant statement I have not heard. What a mess. I'd go into detail about how awful the experience is for me (it's by far the lowlight of my entire week) but quite honestly, it's too painful.

- One of the problems with "coming out of the closet" on this blog is that, now that people know who I am (and a few of them read here as silent lurkers), I can no longer write everything I want to. I had an incident take place with me over Shabbos that I would have liked to have vent about but now I can't. Alas. Suffice it to say, We know these people from the neighborhood who, for some reason, feel the need to pump up their own child in their eyes by talking negatively about my poor four year old boy. The whole thing is so asinine. Why on God's Earth would anyone turn their children's friendship into a competition of who has the better kid? And the worst is me, sitting their and taking it, because don't feel like getting into a fight about it. (And I won';t even mention the fact that their kid is a bit wild, to the point where his teacher had to mention something to his parents recently. They, of course, were proud - proving once again that most people are blind when it comes to seeing faults in their own children.)

Am I wrong for keeping my mouth shut? Am I wrong for not defending the "honor" of my family because some jackass feels the need to tear them down? I think not. Instead, my wife and I came home, processed what happened (this is by no means the first time we have had to do this with this particular family) and decided we simply won't put ourselves or our kids in that position anymore. No more playdates, no more meals together, etc. Very simple.

Hey look at that - I was able to vent about it after all. I'm so artful.

- Ok I lied, a little sports. The Mets had a successful weekend against the crappy Reds. Beltran and Reyes look like they are waking up - 2 very key pieces for the Mets. as much as Beltran says no one player can carry a team, he can carry the Mets for a month if his bat wakes up. His 8 RBI in 2 days is a nice start. Even Carlos Delgado seems to be hitting is a bit better. All in all, what a difference A lou makes. Get is? Alou?

- Finally - I wrote last week how I was against trying to merge D'Antoni's run and gun style with the crappy Knicks. I have since read a few reports at least that he is, in fact, much more of an innovator than he has been given credit for and can merge his style to fit his pieces. Also, it appears he will hire a defensive coach. If the Knicks can get a Rose in the draft, who knows?

2 Comments:

  • The people you describe sound completely nuts and you are handling it the right way. Once again, I must commend your parenting skills.

    The Knicks should certainly be more interesting to watch. From an outsider's perspective, I think it is a good move.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 11:12 AM  

  • well certainly a wlash/D'Antoni pairing is greater than a Thomas/Thomas pairing. it's a good move, the question is, was it the right move? D'Antoni clearly took the job for the money. He wanted the bulls to make a competitive offer.

    And thanks.

    By Blogger Elster, at 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home