Elster's World

Monday, March 31, 2008

Mets Pick

With first pitch scheduled for 4:05, it's time to get it on. here's one man's (quickly put together) prediction for how it will play out. I cannot wait for Joe to quote this article in September and kill me for it.

The Mets will win in the low 90's (90-92 games) because they have the best pitching staff in the East and their bullpen will be better in '08 than it was in '07. Also, while the Phillies have a better lineup (3 studs to the Mets 3 studs, but Phils lineup has less holes) the Mets can still score runs and play relatively good defense.

I think Johan Santana will win the NL Cy Young.

I think David Wright will compete for the MVP this season (and by compete I mean be a top three finisher).

I think Jose Reyes will tone his act down and get his numbers up.

I think Moises Alou will play in no more than 70 games this season.

I think Pedro Martinez will stay healthy and have a very good year.

I think John Maine takes 3 steps forward from last year.

I think Oliver Perez takes 3 steps back from last year.

I think the Mets will be ok with el Duque and Pelfry in the number 5 spot.

I think Carlos Delgado will underwhelm (.260 22 hr 87 rbi)

I think we won't see Duaner Sanchez before May. I think he will end up being the 8th inning guy and Heilman the 7th inning guy.

It's hard to predict how the Mets will finish in the playoffs because there are way too many variables (their health, the competitors' health, etc) but if you don't get something on paper, you are just a big weenie so....

I'll take the Mets losing in the NLCS in 7 painful games. I hope I'm dead wrong.

1 Comments:

  • Ooops - the first mistake of the prediction so far. with Beltran Wright and Reyes the Mets Do have three studs. I still like Phillies lineup better.

    By Blogger Elster, at 1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home