Elster's World

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

What Does This Say About Me?

As I walked through Penn Station this morning on the way to the office, I saw literally hundreds of Giant fans decked out in blue (or white), smiles on their faces, as they headed to the Canyon of Heroes and the Giants ticker tape parade.

Am I resentful of them? No. Do I wish they hadn't won the Super Bowl? No again. I hate the Giants but their team did win one for the ages, so let them have their celebration.

But as I watched them gather - as I saw a father and son get off the train together to head to see their guys, for the first time really I realized how badly I want to go to that parade. Before it was always about how badly I wanted the Jets to win the Super Bowl - but now I see it's something more than that. I want to take part in the celebration of that win. And for the first time, I'm starting to wonder if it will happen in my lifetime. I mentioned this in my post yesterday as well. The Jets are a crappy franchise, snakebit by bad luck, poor management and poor coaching. They have had exactly one transcendent player in their history (Joe Willie) and have come ohsoclose already a few times, never being able to seal the deal. There were bad losses in the mud in Miami and the thin air of Denver - always coming up just short of the ultimate date.

So what do I feel? Bitterness, jealousy, hell even a touch of sadness. As i come tantalizingly close to 35, I would have thought winning a Super Bowl would have been a been there done that experience by now. Instead, I'll be watching a weak armed Chad Pennington figh with interception machine Kellen Clemens for the right to get sacked 75 times next year behind a terrible offensive line. Not exactly the kind of thoughts you should be having whrn your city is gearing up for a Super Bowl champions parade.

On second thought, yeah - I DO hate those Giant fans after all.

8 Comments:

  • This is a very bizarre post. It's like despite being "tantalizingly close to 35" you're taking sports way too seriously. And I say this as someone who takes sports too seriously, but doesn't get depressed about other teams winning and enjoying the win.

    Perhaps we will one day see the Jets win the Super Bowl. If not, I hope that's the biggest disappointment in my life.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 10:03 AM  

  • It's not like it has overtaken my life - rather I experiences a momentary twinge of sadness cause I realized this fact. I'm not moping. It just sucked seeing all those Giants fans celebrating.

    By Blogger Elster, at 10:45 AM  

  • Then why in the world did you root for the Giants? This is precisely why doing so is absurd for Jets fans.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 1:43 PM  

  • I needed a rooting ninterest in the game. I just rather the Giants won than the pats. i wasn't actively rooting for them.

    By Anonymous elster, at 5:37 PM  

  • It is absurd for a Jets fan to root for the Giants to win the Super Bowl precisely because that win is followed by New York being flooded with purported Giants fans, in addition to Giants fans recalling this great victory until the end of days.

    Had the Patriots won, we would not have experienced the delight of a Belichick defeat, but we also would not be forced to endure the unending aftermath of a Giants win.

    You failed to think things through when you foolishly rooted for the Giants.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 6:31 PM  

  • Yawns.

    By Anonymous Elster, at 9:24 AM  

  • "Yawns."

    Another way of saying that you are speechless when called on your daily changes of mind.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 10:09 AM  

  • I ddin't change my mind. I disagree with you and have no interest in continuing this pointless debate.

    By Blogger Elster, at 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home