Elster's World

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Be Nice To Me...

I'm giving blood today. To me this is not a big deal. Some people get all creeped out watching their life force escape through a thin, clear tube, but not me. Nor do I suffer any particular after effects. So yeah, it's pretty easy. Not to mention free apple juice.

But it got me thinking about what this simlpe act symbolizes to the recipients of all this blood - the idea of basic human kindness. Basic Human kindness. The process by which you stop and help someone carry their groceries to their car, carry their suitcase up a flight of steps for them at Penn Station, or hell, even saying good morning to them on the street.

Basic human kindness. It's such a no brainer. Say hello, ask if you can help, say thank you. Don't wait to be asked to help alleviate someones burden - as the great Nike would say "just do it".

Sadly, I feel the modern era is an era of great selfishness. It's all about me, what's in it for me - how do I get mine. And like everything else, the further away we get from something, the harder it is to do. The further we sink into self-centered-ness, the harder it it to think about other people.

I'm no saint. Often, I help people because it makes me feel good about myself, not necessarily out of any sense of altruism. But at the end of the day, this certainly is a case of the ends justifying the means. After all, what's the downside of being nice to someone, even if you get something out of it too?

So be nice to me, I'm giving blood today. And remember, what goes around often comes around. Many cultures incorporate the idea of karma into their philosophies in some form or another. Do good to others and, perhaps, the karma gods will smile on you.

And besides, you never know when your back will be hurting and someone might offer you help with the groceries.

Or, heaven forbid, it might be you who needs that pint of blood.

4 Comments:

  • Alright, you're giving blood. We (I?) got the point.

    The next time I do something good (and it won't be the first time that happens!), I will let you know.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 1:29 PM  

  • Mr. Bitter - as usual, you've completely missed my point. The blood giving was the hook to continue reading. The point was you should do nice thnigs - like commenting on my blog for instance. So thanks!!

    By Blogger Elster, at 2:29 PM  

  • The blood loss has put you into a bad mood. Perhaps you can ask them for 5 or 6 ounces back.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 3:33 PM  

  • Lol - I'M in a bad mood? I wrote a nice, uplifting post today.

    By Anonymous Elster, at 4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home