Elster's World

Monday, March 12, 2007

March 11 Ramblings

Some rambly - not completely thought out impressions from a busy weekend:

- Congratulations to the Georgetown Hoyas who captured the Big East tournament title Saturday night by soundly defeating Pittsburgh and making a statement that they are one of the teams to beat in the upcoming NCAA tournament.

Teams win in March if they (i) have a superstar to rely on to carry them in stretches, (ii) get solid guard play, (iii) have a good big man and (iv) peak at the right time. The Hoyas boast Jeff green, the Big East player of the year and one of the most versatile players in the game right now, decent guard play (this is their biggest problem coming in to the big dance), a fantastic front line and they are on fire right now.

- Thumbs down to Texas coach Rich Barnes who apparently doesn’t realize that when you have the best player in the country on your team you should try to run plays for him in overtime. Simmons has been harping on this all season long but I witnessed it for myself in today’s OT loss to Kansas – Durant managed one shot in overtime despite scoring 37 for the game. Senseless.

- Speaking of senseless, I am not sure I am ok with the NHL’s 25 game suspension of Chris Simon who came a chin away from possibly killing Ryan Hollweg last week. 40 games feels right to me.

It seems that the NHL is getting more and more violent even as the league continues to lose casual fans. Simply put Joe Public turns this stuff on and asks: “Why should I watch this insane sport again?” And you know what? He’s right. Joe will argue with me and tell me I’m an idiot but I think retaliation and fighting are spinning out of control right now.

- I’m not sure what to make of the New England Patriots sudden spending spree in free agency this year after shunning the open market in years past. It seems as though they feel they are right on the cusp and are willing to open the pocketbooks to get back to the Super Bowl. I liked the Adalius Thomas signing, was less in love with Walker (though he returns kicks too) and going after a problem child like Stallworth smacks almost of desperation.

If the moves click, New England is right back in the mix for the Super Bowl. But there is certainly backfire potential with this mix – which I am proud to say would make me happy. My money is on the New England coach making it work. I think the curse of Ted Johnson won’t rear its ugly head for a few more years.

I wrote this post really quickly and in a very tired state (little sleep due to the clock change the night before) so I was kicking myself this morning for not adding - (v) great defense and (vi) good coach/system to my list of NCAA needs. That is why Georgetown will be in good shape and Texas (despite having Durant) may struggle.

4 Comments:

  • "It seems that the NHL is getting more and more violent even as the league continues to lose casual fans. Simply put Joe Public turns this stuff on and asks: “Why should I watch this insane sport again?” And you know what? He’s right. Joe will argue with me and tell me I’m an idiot but I think retaliation and fighting are spinning out of control right now."

    Totally ignorant statement. If you actually watch hockey you would understand that the sport is less and less violent since the post-lockout rule changes. Whatever one thinks of fighting in hockey, what Simon did had nothing to do with fighting.

    The rest of the season or 25 games - whichever is more - seems right to me.

    As for why someone should watch hockey, the two fantastic Rangers vs. Islanders games are why.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 10:14 PM  

  • 1. Perhaps Ottowa -Buffalo and Ottowa Buffalo II escape your mind? And it's not only about the fighting (admittedly down) but the over violence of the sport - the late hits/ etc - kill the game. Hockey is supposed to be more beautifu than violent. And just because someone disagrees with you (especially about something which in many ways is perception) it doesn';t make tham ignorant.

    2. I would have hammered him with 40 and said the new rule is that these types of actions will be faced with increasingly stiffer bans until it stops. And no, "Hollweg gave me a concussion so in my stupor I premeditavely tried to kill him" is not an acceptible excuse.

    3. They are exceptions to an other wise dull rule.

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:20 AM  

  • 1. This is only a matter of perception in the sense that people who don't follow hockey claim that there is more violence, when there is obviously less. Claiming that violence in hockey is up based up the Buffalo vs. Ottawa fights and Chris Simon's use of his stick as a weapon is like claiming that violence in New York is up, and backing up that argument by citing a couple of recent murders.

    2 and 3 - These are indeed matters of perception. I think the NHL got the suspension right and don't think hockey is dull.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 9:45 AM  

  • I have discussed this hockey stuff about all I want to.

    I have no comment yet on the proported Isaiah Thomas extension. Sadly, it appears he will remain GM as well as coach (I have a much bigger issue with him as GM because of his terrble trade history).

    By Blogger Elster, at 11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home