Elster's World

Thursday, December 28, 2006

My Shameful Secret

On the tail end of scandal in the J-Blogsphere, I feel bad to add to the pile. I really do. But my soul calls out for confession. So despite the bad timing, I must share my own dirty little secret:

I'm really begining to enjoy the 2006/2007 New York Knicks experience.

I know, I know - wasn't it Elster who just two weeks ago called the team an embarrasment and called for the coach's job? Yes it was, I admit it. But alot has happened since December 18. The Knicks are playing much much better basketball for starters. They are playing hard and they are playing like a team (though I am still hopeful the Knicks can succeed and Thomas still gets fired). So without further ado, my top ten reasons why you should start watching Knick basketball again:

10 - The comedic stylings of Isiah Thomas: There are the crazy suits, the smug smile, the angry threats directed at the other team's players. Someone get this guy his own show on Comedy Central. Sure as Bill Simmons would say, it's unintentional comedy, but that's often the best kind. But no matter how you slice it, he just puts a smile on your face.

9 - David Lee and Renaldo Balkman: Watching these two limited offensive players make impacts in all other areas of the game is fun. Lee is a rebounding fool who regularly goes for double doubles despite flopping between the starting lineup and bench like a fish gasping for water. He takes charges, playes hustle defense and only takes the shots he can make. Oh, and he rebounds like a sane Dennis Rodman. Balkman, booed lustily when selected in this past draft, plays strong defense, rebounds and blocks shots like someone 5 inches taller, and has a fine handle. And we haven't even mentioned the hair, which is like having a whole other player on the team. If he can learn to score, I see him as a more sane version of Ron Artest.

8 - The continuing development of Channing Frye: A very pleasant surprise as a rookie, Frye took a few steps back earlier this season. But since returning from an ankle injury, he has once again found his jumper and is playing very well. His rebounding is subpar (really needs to improve in this area), but he's developed moves going to the basket - allowing him to play both the 3 and the 4. And he has really good range on the jumper for a big man. He's clean cut and a good building block for the team.

7 - The stunning development of Eddy Curry: I HATED this trade when it happened and still worry that the Knicks will be giving a possible lottery pick to a Bulls team (and get back a crappy pick in the mid-20's next year) but Mr. Curry is begining to turn into the franchise-type, unstopable center many thought he would be when he turned pro after high school. He continues to develop and he's only 25. Needs to work on his free throw shooting and his mean streak (i.e. get one). As an added bonus, he has Ben Wallace's hair.

6 - The results of the Melee at Madison Square: Yes, the fight was ugly, terrible (insert your own word here). But the result? Thomas has been forced to use his rookies and younger players - and they have played with an energy and cohesion that the veterans don't possess. Since that game, the Kncks have lost just once and have three overtime victories despite being undermanned in each game.

5 - The possibility of getting stops: Though they have not all played in the same game yet (thanks to suspensions and injuries), the Knicks could put Q-Richardson and Jared Jeffries (and Balkman, another good defender), two legit stoppers, on the floor at the same time. Also, they can go huge with Richardson (6 feet 7 inches) at the 2 and three almost 7 footers up front. That's tall. Defense wins games and the Knicks potentially can put much better defenders on the floor now than in the past few seasons.

4 - Watching the wheels completely come off of Steve Francis: Much like seeing a car wreck with bodies strew all over the pavement, it's impossible to not watch the train wreck that is Francis' career. He's awful out there. He looks about 30 pounds too heavy, he has terrible wheels and I'm sure he couldn't even beat me off the dribble at this point. Since he never could shoot from the outside - and now he cannot drive to the basket - and he's too short and slow to contribute in other areas - he will shortly be another max contract guy getting almost no minutes. Bad times for him, good times for us. Much, much better to have the sublime Jammal Crawford in the lineup.

3 - Nate Robinson: He's 5 feet 7 inches tall (maybe), insanely talented, very exciting and completely uncoachable. When he's a 7 year veteran he will still be the guy who follows 4 straight turnovers with 10 straight points. There is neither a ceiling nor a floor for this guy, which is always fun.

2 - Seeing if, finally, Starbury can become Marbury: There is no doubt that Stephon Marbury is very talented - just look at last night's 41 point, 8 assist performance. The question is, can he ever be a team player? The Knicks have some talent, they need a floor general to maximize it. I have severe doubts that Marbury can be this guy. But maybe this is the team and the time. If Iverson can do it (and many people think he will be able to work with Carmelo Anthony), why not Marbury?

1 - Playoffs????: Seriously, not as crazy as it sounds. The Eastern Conference is a mess. The Knicks are currently 13-18 and in second place in the Atlantic. Now that they are playing well, they can probbaly sneak into the playoffs at .500 or so - not such a stretch for a team playing right now without its best player so far this season, Q-Richardson. And the Knicks have a lot to play for: Isiah's job (sadly), to stay out of the lottery and thus make their pick trade with the Bulls less of a big deal (could you imagine if the Knicks won the lottery and had to give the number 1 pick to the Bulls???) as well as pride.

So that's my dirty secret - I am secretly enjoying the Knicks this year. I even watch parts of games. I even root for them to win (earlier I was rooting for loses so Isiah would be fired).

As bad as some other blogger crimes? I don't know. But you can all judge my shame.

14 Comments:

  • You are epitome of the frontrunning phony fan. When times are bad, you refuse to even watch, reasoning that it's the organization's fault for being such a mess. When times are good, you're leading the bandwagon and reveling in the excitement.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 1:32 PM  

  • HAHHAHAHHA.

    So let me get this clear - I root for the Mets, Jets, Knicks and Rangers - who have, all told, won 2 championships in my ENTIRE LIFETIME and I'm a frontrunner?

    Number 2 - I did not give up on the Rangers this season because of them - after all they made the playoffs last year. While I WAS upset at their showing, I just lost interest in hockey. I'm still a Ranger fan, just not a particularly active one. It doesn't make me a frnt ruynner or a phony. It's not like all of a sudden became a Penguin fan because of Malkin and Crosby. THAT's a frontrunner. I still check the standings, just dont watch the games.

    3 - ON the Knicks - the majot reason I was upset with the team (besides Isiah's presence) was the stockpiling of overpriced talent who didn't try. Now they are playing the younger guys who try. And get this - they are actually winning. So that makes me a phoney? I have rooted for theis team for 20 years - i'm not allowed to be negative?

    By Blogger Elster, at 1:43 PM  

  • You are not a frontrunner in the sense that you switch to another team. However, you withdraw as a fan when your teams suck, and blame the withdrawal on those teams. Tnen you are leading the bandwagon the minute things go well.

    You're sort of like a guy chasing after a pretty girl who completely loses interest when something appears to have gone awry with her appearance, even to the point of ignoring her calls and e-mails, but then resumes his pursuit the moment she again regains her attractiveness.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 1:50 PM  

  • That's silly. Tne Mets have failed to make the playoofs for 100 years but I stood behind them. Tne Jets went 4-12 last year. Do you even know what you are talking about?

    By Blogger Elster, at 2:16 PM  

  • After the Jets 2005 season you ripped the Mangini hiring and declared the team a disgrace.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 2:17 PM  

  • but i never stopped rooting for them....

    By Blogger Elster, at 2:21 PM  

  • How many times have you ripped moved by Omar Minaya or Herm Edwards? Does that mean you are a phony frontrunner?????????

    By Blogger Elster, at 2:27 PM  

  • I don't stop watching teams just because they make bad moves. Nor do I act so callously to women as a comment above insinuates you do.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 2:31 PM  

  • Good lord - I stopped watching the Rangers BECAUSE I NO LONGER LIKE HOCKEY - it has nothing to do with the Rangers. I DONT LIKE HOCKEY. Period. You cannot use that against me. It's ludicrous.

    As a fan - I am entitled to stop watching a team if they are putrid. The Knicks were an overpaid bunch who clearly ddindt care about anyhting. So as a fan, I chose to protest by not watching. Now that the team is playing better, they have earned my viewership.

    As for my treatment of women - that was YOUR comment

    By Blogger Elster, at 2:34 PM  

  • Let's not argue. We're both Mets fans. Today is a tough day in light of the Wilpons' refusal to overpay for Zito and Omar's failure to consider any other pitchers.

    I have drafted a poem about Zito for your review. Please let me know your thoughts.

    waiting
    hoping
    wishing
    dreaming
    whatever it takes
    to win
    striving to be
    the best
    achieve greatness
    yet
    the ultimate
    reamains
    elusive

    unreal
    in denial
    disbelief
    can't be
    impossible
    how
    can this happen
    AGAIN

    distraught
    dejected
    let down
    frustrated
    angry
    disgusted
    another
    missed opportunity
    best yet
    painful

    blurry vision
    just need
    to knock
    some sense
    into...
    wake up
    do something
    you can't win
    by doing nothing
    show some emotion
    show you care
    show that
    it means something
    put up a fight

    can't pretend
    it didn't happen
    the world
    won't let me
    forget
    but
    give me
    some time
    back off
    let me lick
    my wounds
    let reality
    sink in

    obviously
    meant to be
    G-d wanted it
    but
    it doesn't mean
    I have to
    like it

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 2:35 PM  

  • I'm not sure - let's ask Bellany for her thoughts on "your" poem.

    By Blogger Elster, at 2:36 PM  

  • "I NO LONGER LIKE HOCKEY - it has nothing to do with the Rangers. I DONT LIKE HOCKEY. Period. You cannot use that against me. It's ludicrous."

    That's like saying: "I NO LONGER LIKE GIRLS - it has nothing to do with her. I DONT LIKE GIRLS. Period. You cannot use that against me. It's ludicrous."

    I realize some guys do not like hockey, and some do not like girls. (I've heard there are even some who don't like football.)

    Who am I to judge others? But in the early months of your blog, you wrote about longing for hockey to come back from the lockout. Last season, you kept repeating how much you like hockey and enjoyed the Rangers.

    In light of that, I refuse to accept that you no longer like girls.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 2:40 PM  

  • I forgot to attribute the poem to Bellany. Sorry. It was just one mistake out of thousands of comments and posts.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 2:57 PM  

  • hey guys...long time no speak...i was just going to say that poem looked awfully familiar...i'm glad you are putting it to good use :-)

    Forgiven

    I was kinda hoping the Knicks would continue to lose, especially at home, but oddly enough it seems like that brawl was the best thing that could have happenned to them...i hate seeing thomas looking smug. hopefully he'll still get fired anyway, somehow.

    how about that Zito signing by the Giants??

    By Blogger bellanny, at 11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home