Elster's World

Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Week After

Anyone looking for my 3,000 word epic post on the fall of the New York Mets – well, forget it. Suffice it to say that, despite all the people who predicted their downfall and who said they would not reach the World Series – the Mets ripped my heart out last Thursday night. I am not really rationally ready to discuss it and may not really be prepared until spring training begins in about four months. When Endy Chavez made the most incredible catch I’ve ever seen while it happened, I thought the Mets were going to win that game. They didn’t. Al the breakdowns, what ifs, should have bunteds, should have pinch hit for, should have taken outs and should have swung ats in the world aren’t going to change that. It’s over and there is nothing else to say.

So, how does one recover from this? How can a huge Met fan like me move on?

Simple – we talk about the 4-3 Jets!

The Jets played a team they should have beat – any they beat them. That’s how you compile wining records in the NFL- you beat all the bad teams and try to win one or two against quality opponents. The jets got good play from Pennington, solid offensive line production (although Pennington was sacked a few times by a poor defensive front) and excellent play from rookie runner Leon Washington. After watching this guy develop the last few weeks, I thinking less and less “third down back” and more and more “Tiki Barber Warrick Dunn clone”. Washington may very well have been a steal in the fourth round.

The defense was pretty decent for the majority of the game – though they did miss too many tackles and still give up too much in the prevent defense. I am very impressed with Kerry Rhodes who is really developing into the all around type safety I thought Coleman would one day be.

Next week, the Jets play beatable Cleveland, followed by a bye week followed by the Patriots. It would be very sweet for the Jets to enter the pats game 5-3 and rested.

Fantasy note: Team TO is currently beating me by about 30 points with all but one of his players in (he has kicker Jay Feeley to morrow). I have my Giants Three going for me tomorrow night – so I’m pretty hopeful I will have a come from behind victory in this game.

Go Giants (but no field goals).

13 Comments:

  • "Go Giants"

    What was that?

    May G-d forgive you.

    There is no need to rationally discuss the Mets, but perhaps you will admit that you were wrong, and defer to me in the future.

    Today's Jets win does not and cannot alleviate the Mets lack of character during the NLCS.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 9:12 PM  

  • Joe you are flipping - If the Mets were, in your eyes, supposed to lose in the NLCS, how then could they have a "lack of character" if they took SL to the last inning of the 7th game? I, on the other hand, thought they were going to win the series - and still think they SHOULD have. SO I will be deferring to you in no way ever.

    Let me re-phrase - Lose Giants!! - But Elie Tiki and Jeremy should have huge games in the process.

    Finally - Obviously a regular season victory over the Lions cannot possibly fix how I feel about the Mets or this particular loss - rather the euphoria of the win reminds me why I love sports so much in the first place and why I keep watching and rooting despite things like the game 7 loss.

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:33 AM  

  • I never said that the Mets were "supposed to lose." I expected them to lose because they coasted through much of the season and therefore failed to recognize - let alone address - their flaws and weaknesses. Hopefully those problems will now be addressed in the offseason, but as our blog friend Jewboy can tell us, wasting opportunities to make it to the World Series can haunt a franchise for a long time.

    It's a bit arrogant of you to debate me all season on whether the Mets would win the pennat, be wrong, and not acknowledge that you were wrong.

    OK on your rephrasing re: the Giants. You should win that game.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 10:02 AM  

  • Acknowledge I was wrong? The frakking team losat and didn't win the pennat. Of course I was wrong. My point was that the last game could just as easily gone the other way (even though it didn't). It wasn't slam dunk. It far easier to predict a team will not do well (the odds are certainly greater) than predicting a team will do well. Thats why your Jet predictions this year have been so impressive.

    And yes - missed opportunities can haunt you forever (ask the 87 and 88 Mets "dynasty".

    By Blogger Elster, at 10:41 AM  

  • I'm not sure that the odds of the Mets losing the NLCS were greater than that of winning.

    What bothers me most about this team is that nobody stepped up and got a key hit. Beltran hit the two run homer in Game 1, but he did little else in clutch spots. In Game 2, which you missed, he bounced into an inning ending double play with two on in the bottom of the 8th and the score tied.

    Wright has gone downhill since July.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 10:56 AM  

  • Agreed - no one hit well at the end - even the torrid Delgado was silent.

    Wright (and to a lesser degree Reyes) I think let their first post season trips awe them a little. Kep in mind that while Wrigths power numbers decreased in Aug/Sept -he was still hitting for a high average and driving in runs.

    By Blogger Elster, at 11:13 AM  

  • Actually his RBI numbers were down a lot, though still looked impressive at season's end because of how strong his start was.

    If Wright was just awed or in a slump, I could live with that (though somehow Jeter never slumped in October). My concern is seeing his name pop up in gossip items. It sounds like he may be out late boozing and picking up girls. After a long season, his body needs some rest.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 11:49 AM  

  • Well, if he became "Late Night Wright", then I hope he learns formt he experience.

    By Blogger Elster, at 12:13 PM  

  • looks like I'm a little late to this debate :-)

    About the Mets series, oddly enough it was the hitting that lost it for them and not their pitching as everyone expected. They were a much better team than Cards offensively.

    I'll echo the Go Giants. Tonight I'll ateempt to listen to most of the game on the radio although football is near impossible to get into on radio.

    By Blogger bellanny, at 5:30 PM  

  • Well, it's the effort that counts Bell....

    By Blogger Elster, at 5:49 PM  

  • How 'bout them Falcons?

    By Blogger Jewboy, at 10:56 PM  

  • Wait a sec...I actually watch the game, then miss the discussion??

    Not fair, at all. I was hoping to show off.

    Thanks anyway.

    By Blogger Sara, at 11:29 PM  

  • Well Sara, I would love to watch the game but the lack of a TV does not help that effort. We'll have a show off next game.

    I would blog about the Giants game, which I did listen too, but I am sick and exhausted. Next game. And it seems Feeley did kick quite a few field goals.

    By Blogger bellanny, at 10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home