Elster's World

Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Good News Is....

...That I seem to be over my writer's block. Or at least on the verge of breaking out of it. More on this below. And that I'm writing again at night, something I have been neglecting because of my blockage, the Mets late season success and general time wasting at the computer.

But: (i) I just finished a whale of a tale for Storytellers (going up next week) that I am seriously considering turning into my second unpublished novel (assuming I can frame out a full story - I'll be working on that during work today) - so I am very curious to see everyone's responses to it - it's something completely different for me (and most people I imagine), (ii) I am writing the first post for a new collaboration blog with one of my favorite bloggers of all time (and no, it is not a Jets/Mets/Rangers blog with Joe - though I'm sure at least Bellanny would be interested in that) which hopefully will be a very funny ongoing work of fiction (when we have somethig to post, we will make an official announcement about it), and (iii) in the more distant future, I have yet another collaboration project that is very near and dear to me, which I hope to be sharing with all of you down the line. Sorry for all the secrecy but as they say in Tibet, "until there is something, there is nothing". Ok, I don't know if they really say that in Tibet, but it sound wise and Dalei Lama-ish.

I learned an interesting thing about writer's block (aka WB) - the more you give into it, the worse it gets. I learned that even if you can't write anyhting good, write anything. Put it on the paper. Don't let it get into your head. Because the more you allow yourself to be intimidated by your own lack of creativity, the more likely that you won't get anywhere near your MS Word or Wordperfect. And that's the worst thing you can do. Sure, sometimes you need a break from writing, but the break should always be on your terms, not WB's. I always imagine my WB as a phantom specter, sitting over my right (uncreative) shoulder and laughing at me as I click into ESPN.com for the fiftieth time instead of turning on my word processor or giving himself a pat on the back when I tell someone that I'm too scared to try and write again.

In other words, get back on the horse and show that WB who is boss. Even if what you are writing sucks, the next thing will be better.

So that's the good news. The bad news is that, along with more writing, comes less blogging. But it's a good trade for me so I'll take it.

Oh and a quick response to Joe - If you really think I would trade the guy who now refers to himself as Ocho Sinco in a sell cheap deal, you are insane. Ocho Sinco is gonna have a huge week this week. THEN we can talk about a trade.....

10 Comments:

  • "Ocho Sinco is gonna have a huge week this week"

    Perhaps, but he's not starting for you.

    Akiva actually declined an excellent trade offer from me - Boldin and Rivers for Harrison. I think the trade would have helped him more than me, but it seems impossible to pull off a deal in this league.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 10:17 AM  

  • Marvin Harrison? he has like one td this season no?

    The problem is that I have different issues week to week so I cannot really figure out what my needs really are. My team is maddeningly inconsistent.

    By Blogger Elster, at 10:23 AM  

  • Your team sucks.

    Akiva has Brees at QB, and I think Rivers is at least as good. Boldin and Harrison have similar numbers. For me, the latter is preferable because I hate having my top 2 WRs on the same team. If they have a tough matchup, I have to consider benching both of them.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 10:42 AM  

  • You dont have to worry about it because Fitzy has a bas hammy. The truth is, I may bemore williong to trade one of WR's after the jets bye week, not before.

    By Blogger Elster, at 10:44 AM  

  • Fitzgerald will be back for Week 10.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 11:03 AM  

  • Lets talk then.

    By Blogger Elster, at 11:19 AM  

  • I'm glad your WB is over. Great advice. Can't Wait until the nothing becomes a something. Although I am disappointed there is no sports collaboration ;-)

    By Blogger bellanny, at 11:40 AM  

  • I lmow Bell - you and no one lese though.....

    By Blogger Elster, at 12:21 PM  

  • I'm completely ecstatic, unlike everyone else that seems to come here, that I get to see something other than sports. Glad to see you're back and ready to go.

    By Blogger Sara with NO H, at 12:35 PM  

  • Thanks for the advice... I know what you mean about giving in - and then it's only certain to get worse. The writing when you know it sucks is really tough...

    By Blogger SS, at 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home