Elster's World

Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Musings Are Back?

Yes, indeed they are. I know you love my musings.

Sorry for the long delay - I know how hard it is for my loyal readers to not hear from me on a regular basis. However, work has been crazy and I have been spending my evenings watching season 2 of Battlestar Galactica (which I have been Tivo-ing all summer) in anticipation of season 3 which commences some time in October - all of which has severely curtailed my blog time. Oh yeah, I spent some time with my family too.

Anyway, on to the musings:

- So I worked fairly hard to get this Storytellers concept going. I sent a lot of emails, begged, cajoled and even lied to many people to get them to write some stories for me. And for the most part, people have done as promised. With some notable exceptions who I will now proceed to tear to shreds:

McAryeh was going to get it the worst (I had a number of excellent barbs all ready) until he emailed me and promised me I'd have the story by Sunday. Thus he gets a short term repreive. But I hope he's late so I can rip him a new one.

Jameel - Listen to me. The war is over. There is no more live realtime war blogging. It's not erev shabbos and there are no chickens to grill. Get to it.

(As an aside, you may want to invest in a gas grill because I've never seen someone take so much time grilling chickens before. Do you even have time to shower before Shabbos? Oh wait, you are Israeli, you don't take showers.)

Bellany, Bellany, Bellany. The Yankees are cruising, you have internet again - What's the story? I know Mariano has a bad wing. Hey we all got problems. Get over it and get it done.

- Too much being made of the Eric Mangini vs. Bill Belchichkiebnhc this weekend. The coaches are not the story. The story is Jets and Patriots and how the Pats are the class of the division - though slightly on the decline - and the Jets are the bottom feeders trying to knock on the door. Based on their respective performances last week, there is at least hope for the Jets though I wouldn't get too excited for Gang Green just yet.

- Despite the so-called Elster Jinx (supposedly well documented by Joe), the Mets are sitting pretty - 16 games above second place Philly - and with a magic number of 2 with 17 games to go. They will have well rested Pedro, El Duque and Glavine going for them in the playoffs and 14 GAME WINNER Steve Trachsel on the staff as well. Can we officially put an end to the Elster Jinx, or will Joe just roll it out whenever the Mets eventually end their run?

Speaking of rolling out, I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather roll out John Maine and not Trachsel in the playoffs. I don't trust Trachsel at all in big spots. In any case, the Mets starting rotation is their biggest weakness, followed by their inability to hit lefties, followed by a bullpen with no Duaner Sanchez. Still, I believe they are the class of the NL and I think anything less than a World Series appearance is a bad outcome. Of course, getting rolled by the Yankees in 4 games would suck too.

And for the record, as much as I hate to toot my own horn (well, not that much), I have been right about this Mets team from opening day (including my phenominal post back in April called The Boys of Summer which included 10 things to love about the Mets [which I wrote 11 games into the season] - see how I predicted Zambrano would be gone by the All-Star break? I'm good). Despite the naysayers, the Mets have been great this season, refusing to let injuries to Zambrano, Bannister, Pedro, Glavine, Floyd etc. derail their season.

- I don't watch nearly as much television as I used to (a very good thing) and my decision to stop actively following the Rangers this season should free up even more time. I mention this only because, despite the fact that word is that tv is enjoying a renaissance of good shows in recent years, I have limited myself dramatically. I will watch 24 (of course), Lost, my guilty pleasure Veronica Mars and the aforementioned Galactica. Thank the lord for Tivo. What a show. I'm two thirds of the way through Season 2 and I'm amazed by the high quality of this program. Decent acting, excellent characters and tons of surprises. And despite my wife's protestations, you do not need to be a sci-fi lover (geek?) to enjoy it. It's a great drama in its own right (that just happens to take place in space where the last vestiges of humanity flee from the Cylon pursuers).

- Let's see, I covered Storytellers, sports and tv. Did I miss anyhting? Well, only important things. I know I had other stuff I wanted to write, but I'm blanking. Alas.

- I didn't write a 9/11 post, but I think I probably should have. 9/11 is my generation's "Where Were You?" moment - much like the assasination of JFK was for the previous one. Everyone has a story, relevant or not. Actually I take that back. Everyone's story is relevant to themselves and their world outlook. Many peole's entire mindsets changed on that day. My friend Darren went from being a tree hugging democrat to republican because of the events of that terrible day. Airing, telling or blogging their stories was therapy for a number of the people who were affected by the sight of the towers falling to the ground - people flinging themsleves off of a hundred story building - the horrible 911 calls which are released every so often. I'll never forget any aspect of that day - I'm talking minute to minute stuff - It's all seared into my brain. So consider this my 9/11 post, 3 days too late.

6 Comments:

  • 1. Re: the Mets - We agree that anything less than a World Series appearance would be failure. I expect the Mets to be eliminated in the first or second round, you don't. We'll find out in a few weeks.

    2. "I don't watch nearly as much television as I used to ... I have limited myself dramatically"

    Good lord, then you describe the incredible amount of TV you watch.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 4:10 PM  

  • 1. I hope you are wrong, though I have been more bullish on the Mets all season than you.

    2. That's just a matter of perspective. it's 4 hours a week plus sports. That's one hour a night Mon - Thurs (plus sports)

    By Blogger Elster, at 4:58 PM  

  • I agree that anything less than a World series appearance by the Mets should/could be considered a failure, but that sounds a lot like the Yankee mentality. When you have great team that cost a lot of money you can't expect that much less. But anything can happen, especially in baseball.

    4 hours of TV is not so much, but after sports isn't it more like 12?

    As for my story, I am a world class procrastinator and since I have not come up with any ideas I loved I didn't write anything. Since you are trying to apply the guilt trip I will get cracking and see where I end up. Mariano is the least of my problems now, believe me. And I am not worried about him. He will be fine and better than ever when the postseason rolls around.

    By Blogger bellanny, at 6:19 PM  

  • I do love your musings, and am happy to see them back, but as my first hole still works just fine, I think I'll stick with that one! Thanks, though, for the offer of a new one...

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 4:49 PM  

  • M - BOY are you lucky.

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:39 PM  

  • You are a funny man.

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 2:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home