Elster's World

Monday, September 25, 2006

It's Over

No, I am not referring to the Chag of Rosh Hashanah - I am not one of those types of people who cannot wait for the holidays to be over (I actually relish the gift we receive, three days on the calendar to clean up all of the messes we make over the course of the year) - rather, I am referring to the Jets seemingly ugly 28-20 win over the Buffalo Bills in Buffalo yesterday.

It certainly seems like if I had to pick a Jet win to miss, this was it. (And no, Joe, that doesn't mean I wanted to miss it, or that I was happy I missed it or that I'm secretly a Giant fan.) They gave up over 450 yards of total offense and gained less than 260 total yards of their own. The gave up over 150 yards rushing to Willis McGahee, gave up over a hundred yards to two different receivers and gave up over 300 hundred yards to JP Losman - yet still managed to win the game by playing opportunistic defense (Victor Hoobson returns one of Kerry Rhodes' two forced fumbles for a score, Eric Coleman makes a huge stop on fourth down, etc) and a well managed game by the resurgent Chad Pennington. All of a sudden, the Jets are 2-1 heading into Sunday's home game against the Colts and instead of staring 0-4 0r 1-3 in the face. The team could be a very respectable 2-2 after a month of play (I'm not quite ready to declare victory a possibility in this game but who knows?).

Fantasy wise, things were looking terrible for Elster entering the night game last night. He was down 92-86 to Akiva with only two of his players remaining (Richard Seymour and Mike Dunn) vs. three of Akiva's (including Drew Brees, Alge Crumpler and some defensive player). But after the night session, I have cut the lead to 2 points and it's Dunn vs. Brees and Crumpler. If this wasn't the first game in the 'Dome since Katrina, I would be picking an Atlanta blowout and maybe even a fantasy victory. But the Saints will have all of the emotion propelling them - basically I will need Drew Brees' arm to fall off in order to win. Still I'm proud of my boys for fighting through Chad Johnson's one 16 yard catch and Jeremy Shockey's benching (not the post-bread kind) to give my an opportunity to win.

Go Falcons.

Two more fantasy notes - The problem with picking three players form one high powered offense (counting Shockey who I benched but wish I didn't) is that there will be times when they will collectively lay a bomb like the G-men did in Seattle yesterday - thereby almost single handedly sinking my fantasy squad as well.

Also, Laverneous Coles is making it very difficult for me to bench him ever again. There may very well be a top-flight receiver to be had if the right offer comes my way...

11 Comments:

  • 1. Why would anyone want to miss any Jets win? If I had to miss a Jets win, I'd prefer it be a late season game after the Jets were already eliminated. Yesterday's game sounds game, and I'm looking forward to watching the video. (No, I didn't tape it over Rosh Hashanah.)

    2. Nobody cares about fantasy football except for those who play. I also made some regrettable decisions - like not starting a questionable Brian Westbrook (3 TDs, 31 fantasy points), and playing hot hand Donald Driver (9 points) over the superior Anquan Boldin (something like 23 points). That's the way it goes. Tonight will be fun, since all three games in our league are very close and could go either way.

    3. Nobody else in our league reads your blog, and I'm not trading for Coles.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 11:14 AM  

  • I did not TIVO it either - RH, too risky.

    2 - ut more and more ppl are playing it so more ppl care.

    3 - Ouch - Though i did know that.

    By Blogger Elster, at 11:51 AM  

  • I love hearing you say "Go Falcons."

    By Blogger Jewboy, at 1:18 PM  

  • I know right? Maybe you were right after all JB. Maybe there IS somethiung to this Falcons thing.

    But never the Braves

    By Blogger Elster, at 2:06 PM  

  • I'm here.

    You can always drive yourself crazy about who you benched, etc. I benched Brady last week and it worked. This week, even though he stunk, he scored 20 points to Warner's 9.

    Tonight we will see if my Reggie Bush gamble paid off. I'm down by 12 with Bush remaining (against a defensive end from NO). Go Reggie.

    By Blogger MoChassid, at 3:54 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger MoChassid, at 3:54 PM  

  • I trhink Reggie will have abig game tonight. His breakout under the Moinday Night lights. And so there Joee!!!

    By Blogger Elster, at 5:50 PM  

  • I trhink Reggie will have abig game tonight. His breakout under the Moinday Night lights. And so there Joee!!!

    By Blogger Elster, at 5:50 PM  

  • You're losing it, Elster. I'm not playing MoC again this week.

    MoC is still a player short. Is he trying to cut payroll?

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 5:54 PM  

  • No Joe - you previously wrote no one from our league reads this site but you. This is factually incorrect, thus the so there. Nothing to do with fantasy FB.

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:18 AM  

  • Nobody's trading for Coles, though.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home