Elster's World

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

It's All In The Face

Yesterday Joe pointed out that the Mets are clearly on cruise control - just playing out the string - and he stated that he now believes the Mets will be defeated in the first round of the playoffs. Of course, Joe isn't the most optomistic person on the face of the planet, but I'd be lying if I said that even I haven't been having similar feelings recently.

The Mets recent lack of fire is evident to anyone watching the games - or even following the scoreboard. And, most troubling of all, it seems to be coming directly from the Manager, Willie Randolph.

During the course of the season, Willie would sit on the bench all dour and surly - barely managing smiles even for home runs and wins. And the Mets took on a similar personna, going about their business and winning games - going through the national League like a wood chipper going through dry tree branches. Ever since the Mets clinched the NL East and home field advantage in the playoffs, we have seen a whole other side to Willie. There he is smiling on the steps of the dugout. There he is sitting and joking with Manny Acta or Sandy Alomar Sr. - barely acknowledging that there's a game going on in the stadium. It's very disconcerting.

Last night Willie made a number of post-game comments pooh poohing the recent landslide and basically saying we will turn it on for the playoffs. Well, here's hoping he's right. here's hoping we see a return of the dour Wille face and a return to that team from the majority of the season who played as though the sole purpose of each game is to win.

P.S. - As optomistic as I remain, it's impossible to feel good about a starting rotation that includes a very shaky Pedro Martinez, a very hitable Tom Glavine, the 124 year old Orlando Hernandez and the beyond shaky Steve Trachsel to close things out. It bothers me that the only one of these guys I feel totally good about is El Duque.

***

In other news, I have given up hope on receiving a Storytellers submission from Bellany - and I await with some skepticism for a supposedly half completed story from my good friend Jameel. I guess I'll believe he will finish it when it's in my inbox. No offense Jameel!

I am, for the very first time in my writing "career", suffering from a mild case of writer's block. The issue isn't getting words out- the issue is I cannot think of any topics to write. I was recently challenged to write something not about detectives, cops, killers etc. I think that it is wise to try and branch out. However, I am having trouble thinking of a good branch-out topic.

But as soon as I can come up with something, I will be starting Round II of Storytellers. Of course, all are welcome to write a second story (or even a first one) - I have not rejected anything yet so there's hope for you fledgling storytellers out there.

11 Comments:

  • Since you have given up hope of ever receiving my story it will just gave to come as a surprise when it shows up in your inbox. I just love suspense :-).

    As for the Mets, things don't look good at all. But don't give up yet because they may turn it on again when they get some real competition in the playoffs. I think they are just bored.

    By Blogger bellanny, at 1:36 PM  

  • I hope you are right Bell - on both counts. Because:

    1. i'm out of copntributors and suffering writer's block

    2. My dad scored 2 tickets to game one and I want to go cheer Healthy Pedro and the Mets to victory.

    By Blogger Elster, at 1:49 PM  

  • The '86 Mets went 15-4 in their last 19 games. Even they struggled in the NLCS and World Series against less talented teams. This team will play a team with a lot of momentum (unless it's the Cards), and Randolph's jocular approach is likely to doom them. I hope I'm wrong.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 1:53 PM  

  • I hope you are wrong too.

    Mets expectations are basically World Series (loss)or bust. In other words, anyhting less than losing in the World Series is a major failure for the tem athat is clearly the best in the National League.

    By Blogger Elster, at 2:54 PM  

  • Lucky you. 2 tickets to game 1. Nice. Unfortunately, I lost the Yankee online lottery so I don't hold out much hope of going to a playoff game this year.

    You should listen to the Mets playoff song. It will put you in a good mood. I want to post on the songs as soon as I hear the Yankee song.

    By Blogger bellanny, at 3:39 PM  

  • There are playoff songs? I'm scared. Thet Mets song from erlier in the year was a disaster.

    By Blogger Elster, at 4:17 PM  

  • Maybe they're bringing back 'Let's Go Mets'

    Rememeber that? I actually bought the tape in '86... only to be given harsh mussar by an old yid who lamented who low my generation had fallen.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 5:06 PM  

  • Hehe -That's too funny. I LOVE the soccer chant fans do for Jose Reyes. Soccer chants are great and should be incorporated into all sports.

    By Blogger Elster, at 5:20 PM  

  • the Mets song is a remake of the song by Lucas Prata And She Said changed to And We Say ...Let's Go Mets

    it's playing on Z100 and I'm sure you can probably find it online somewhere

    By Blogger bellanny, at 6:19 PM  

  • That sounds like a terrible song.

    Anyway, Mr. Sunshine, still want Pedro to pitch?

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 8:54 PM  

  • Joe - See above

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home