Elster's World

Monday, August 21, 2006

Things That Rhyme With 'ets

Before I turn my attention to pressing sports issues, a quick note:

I was tagged by McAryeh to discuss books - what I read and what books/authors have impacted me. I commenced that post last night but realized that I had some serious thinking to do to make sure I didn’t leave out anything important. So that post is in the works.

- The mystery surrounding Tom Glavine and his right shoulder is probably making every Met fan weak knee-d and watery bowel-ed. The idea of Steve Trachsel, John Maine and Dave Williams playing prominent roles in the playoffs is absolutely terrifying. Pedro Martinez is currently on the disabled list with a leg issue and now it seems at least 50/50 that Glavine has pitched his last game of the season.

Sure, we can all hope that the clot is something which can be thinned away with medication in two weeks, allowing Glavine to get healthy and prepped for the playoffs and beyond. But it’s just as likely that the Mets will be announcing on Wednesday that Glavine will be having season (and possibly career?) ending surgery soon.

It would be a shame for someone like Glavine, who has remained pretty healthy for his entire career, to have to end it all so close to 300 wins (287) and a shame for the Mets, so close to knocking on the world series door again, to be without him.

So in review – If the Mets lose Glavine, you can still print those playoff tickets, but I wouldn’t rush to start distributing those world series vouchers just yet.

- In slightly better news, the New York Jets have acquired running back Kevan Barlow for a fourth round pick (which, rumor has it, can possibly become a higher pick is Barlow has certain success this season). Despite suffering a knee injury last season, Barlow is certainly an upgrade over the current Blaylock/Houston combination. If I had to guess, assuming Barlow is healthy and plays well the rest of the pre-season, the Jets will cut Blaylock (who is much more expensive than Cedric Houston) before the season begins.

- I caught some of the pre-season game Saturday night. It’s impossible to take much from these games but I will say this: To me Brooks Bollinger looked better than Ramsey, which is a very troubling thought.

7 Comments:

  • Go Dodgers!

    By Blogger Jack's Shack, at 1:54 PM  

  • oy vey. Sports are something I just can't follow. I'm waiting on the books post.

    By Blogger Eshet Chayil, at 3:10 PM  

  • Jack - I have no words to describe my newfound loathing for you. Though as you DO live in CA, I guess the Dodger thing makes sense.

    Eishet - Prepare to be amazed - or horrified - whichever.

    By Blogger Elster, at 3:33 PM  

  • who will hit more this week Pujols or beltran?

    By Blogger Limey2001, at 11:26 AM  

  • Pujols up in the ninth against Wagner with a man on and a run lead thats a scary thought

    By Blogger Limey2001, at 11:27 AM  

  • Pujols has really cooled off since the injury. I like the Mets better than the Cards. Another interesting subplot is Rolen and the suddenly slumping David Wright

    By Blogger Elster, at 12:00 PM  

  • About that book meme....really am interested in how you would answer...

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 4:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home