Elster's World

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Storytellers Query

Just about a month ago we (the proverbial "we", actually me) launched Storytellers. In the wake of Tommy's disappearance from cyberdom (still very troubling, by the way), I wanted to do another collaboration. When I couldn't think of a suitable project, I thought "hey, how cool would it be to invite other bloggers to write stories for Elster's World?" Then I thought that if people were actually interested in doing that, I would create a new blog just for it. And thus, Storytellers was born.

As with all brilliant ideas, it was a tad slow to develop. When I first announced it on my site, I wasn't exactly inundated with positive replies. Not so shocking actually. So I did what any entrepreneurial person would do - I hit the bricks and started emailing people or soliciting them in the comments sections of their blogs (yes, I apologize for all the stalking, it was for a good cause). Perhaps a little shameless, but it was very effective. I (along with an assist from Scraps) solicited thirteen people (not including me) in my initial round. Of those thirteen, eight people have committed and one more said maybe. The other three (including surprising silence from Bec, who I assumed was a given - shame on you Bec) have not yet replied, and I assume are not interested. Altogether, I have twelve people (including me) committed to Storytellers. (Of course, a commitment and an actual submission are two distinctly separate animals....)

But I digress. Here's the actual point of this post. I have been (generally) very impressed by the submissions and I am soliciting some feedback from you, the readers. So here are the questions - to both submitters and non-submitters alike:

1. Have you been reading Storytellers?

2. What do you think?

3. Is there a reason why you all don't comment for the most part?

4. Do you have any suggestions for improving the site?

Please note that Storytellers is not some sort of exclusive club. If I did not solicit you, it simply means that either (i) I don't know who you are, or (ii) I assumed you wouldn't be interested. By no means should anyone take that as a sign that I don't think you can write fiction. If anyone else is interested, you can email me and let me know. My contact information can be found in my profile or in the Submit link on the right.

8 Comments:

  • 1. Have you been reading Storytellers?
    Yup!

    2. What do you think?
    So far, so good! Overall very good quality (and I'm not just talking about mine!).

    3. Is there a reason why you all don't comment for the most part?
    I do!

    4. Do you have any suggestions for improving the site?
    If it seems like things are slowing down, remind people who promised submissions that they did so, and remind them to comment. :)

    By Blogger Scraps, at 3:27 PM  

  • Ah Scraps - the one of two (besides me) true loyal Storytellers readers. What would I do without you?

    By Blogger Elster, at 11:42 AM  

  • Elster:

    Yes! I've been reading it, and love it! I'm sorry I don't comment more...I've been really busy :-/

    I already have a page written for my contribution, but haven't even found the time to finish that either!

    In any event - please keep the stories coming!

    By Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata, at 11:56 AM  

  • Jameel, it is an understatement to say that I am really looking forward to your story.

    By Blogger Elster, at 11:59 AM  

  • Elster: I'll try to work on it tomorrow...while I BBQ the chicken for shabbat :)

    By Blogger Jameel @ The Muqata, at 12:38 PM  

  • You seem to get more work done BBQ-ing shabbos chicken than most ppl get done in a whole week Jameel. It's either an amazing gift or you have a huge family. I'm not sure yet.

    By Blogger Elster, at 1:16 PM  

  • I do read the submissions, and most have been good. I think in general people are intimidated by fiction and often don't know what to say beyond "I like that" or "good job". One thing I would love to see is more collaborative fiction, whether a chain story or something else. It would also be cool if you threw out a theme and asked people to write short fiction that fits it or if you took a paragraph from a work of published fiction and asked people to continue the story.

    I'm sorry I have fallen behind on my own submission. It has been a busy week - I have only written one blog post, let alone a short story. Also, I am experimenting with something different than the kind of fiction I normally write, and haven't quite figured out how to make it work yet. But I am working on it when I can and will get it to you soon...

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 4:34 AM  

  • Jameel - MMMM chicken.

    MC - I guess what I think is that people are taking chances putting stuff up here. I guess I think it's important to show appreciation for their efforts even if it is just to say nice effort or good story or even "I liked Dante, his world view is so skewed."

    Anyway, no rudh. I have three submission in the hopper ready to go.

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home