Elster's World

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

From the Travel Mates Ashes... A Phoenix?

Absolutely no qualms about burying that morbidly depressing post I just wrote with a new one.

Dear Readers:

Elster’s World has some good news and some bad news – bad news first, of course.

The Bad News:

I regretfully inform you all that Travel Mates is officially on hiatus, perhaps even permanently so. The truth is that I don’t think anyone cares anymore, except maybe Scraps and I.

This project was born out of a strong desire on my part to collaborate with the brilliant Tomboy, author of Traditional Tomfoolery. Scraps came into the project through Tomboy and while she may still be game to continue without Tommy, the truth is (no offense at all to Scraps) I really wanted to collaborate with Tommy.

The sad thing is, Tom seems to have fallen off the face of the planet. She has not updated her own blog since June 5. She does not respond to emails and she has not logged onto her messenger for that same period of time. As upset as I am that Travel Mates is most probably done, I have more of a sense of worry over her whereabouts. Sure, people get busy and periods of time go by without a post or what not. But a month and a half is a long time to be totally out of contact. Unless you are a spy, deep undercover. So as I “mourn” Travel Mates, my real hope is that Tommy is ok.

The Big News:

But out of the death of Mates, perhaps another project can be born. Therefore, I proudly announce that Elster’s World would love to host the first edition of Elster’s Storytellers.

What, you ask, is Elster’s Storytellers? Well it’s an opportunity for all of you serious blog writers out there to show off your other, deeply hidden side - the fiction writing beast that lurks in all of us scribes. Perhaps you always wanted to try a short story, or even a story fragment, but were afraid to take away from the seriousness of your blog. Well I’m here to help. I want to put your fiction here at Elster’s World (or, if there is actually a real response to this, on its very own blog site). You can submit with your name (which I will proudly display) or you can submit anonymously (to protect your serious side). Either way, I’d love to have you here.

Feel free to respond in the comment section or email me at the link in my profile. All submissions will be accepted and, unless graphically inappropriate, will be posted as written (though as editor I do reserve the right to make spelling and grammar fixes).

I have serious doubts about getting responses but I really hope you J-Bloggers (and non J-Bloggers too of course) take me up on this opportunity to have a little fun and try to get creative.

I hope to hear from many of you soon.

E.

7 Comments:

  • Let me mull it over. My brain is on hiatus this summer.

    By Blogger AnySara, at 3:26 PM  

  • well, we appricate any mulliong. Keep in mind it doesn't have to be particularly brillinat. Participation is the key - at least at first.

    By Blogger Elster, at 3:27 PM  

  • I'm in. Even though I'm still gonna hope and pray that Tommy shows her face (figuratively) again sometime.

    By Blogger Scraps, at 4:37 PM  

  • Wonderful Scraps - but to be honest, i counted you as a given before I even finished writing the post. Well, now I have 2 solid contributors (not counting me of course) and one maybe. Not bad for a first day's work.

    By Blogger Elster, at 4:39 PM  

  • I tried to leave a brilliant comment earlier, one that would not only say "count me in" but would also convince everyone to join in too.

    Blogger ate it.

    But yes, just say the word and I'll submit something.

    By Blogger Sara, at 6:19 PM  

  • The word. There you go. Now you have to submit something.

    As an aside, i am very happy withthe early results. At a minimum, people seem intrigued...

    By Blogger Elster, at 8:59 PM  

  • If you'd be willing to indulge a semi-professional (I get paid - sort of - for my fiction), I'd love to come up with something unrelated to my usual fiction (and much shorter) for Storytellers.

    By Blogger Sheyna Galyan, at 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home