Elster's World

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The Return Of Elster's Ramblings

Upon Popular Demand, Elster’s ramblings return:

- Despite Joe’s insistence that my good will towards the Mets results in their inevitable decline, let me throw some good will towards the Mets. The team is clicking on almost all cylinders right now. The starters are pitching well, even the back-end guys like Alay Soler and El Duque. Soler, in particular, has been excellent in his last two outings, culminating with his complete-game shutout the other night. After a rocky first few starts, he is settling down and playing well. El Duque has been a little more shaky, but certainly pitching decently for a number five starter. I believe his value will be come September and October. He is a big game, big stage pitcher and has been since coming to the US.

Carlos Beltran is finally starting to play like the star he is being paid to be. His torrid hitting earned him Player of the Week honors and his 17 home runs and 49 RBI pace the Mets. The emergence of other strong personalities in the clubhouse (Carlos Delgado, Pedro Martinez, Cliff Floyd and Julio Franco) as well as the emergence of hitters like Delgado and David Wright, is taking the pressure off Beltran to be someone he isn’t.

Despite the Elster Jinx, this team just has a really nice feel to it. The players genuinely seem to like each other (ask the Red Sox of Detroit Pistons how important team chemistry - or the lack thereof - is), leaders are emerging and Willie Randolph is not screwing up too badly. While by no means a great game manager, he seems to have a decent feel for what motivates the players. He also has a steady as she goes approach which works nicely with this group as well.

- Yesterday was my firm’s annual golf outing. Basically, it’s a day off from work where you have to spend the day at a country club in Westchester with a bunch of people from work. But hey, it beats working. The trouble started when Elster went to sleep at almost two in the morning (baby issues) and had to wake up at six in order to be at the club in time for an 8:15 tee-time. But golf was fun and my friend and I left right after lunch. Thanks to traffic, we didn’t get home until four, whereupon I took my daughter to the post office to send my manuscript to an editor, followed by me chasing said daughter all over the neighborhood on her little bicycle. I was so tired, I dropped off to sleep at the unheard of hour of 10:00 pm.

- For those of you die hard Travel Mates followers, the next post (Tomboy's) will be up shortly. Tommy seems to have some punctuality issues, but we will beat one out of her soon.

- We at Elster’s World recognize that we have not posted anything of substance in quite some time, whether that substance be my take on an important issue or a marvelous piece of fiction, and for that we apologize. The new addition plus a large end of the month closing are taking all of my time - not to mention creative energy. Hang tough though, I’m sure things will pick up here in the near future. – The Management.

8 Comments:

  • Now that The Elster Jinx is set to return, let's hope the Mets can at least salvage one game in their 3 game series vs. the Phillies.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 2:56 PM  

  • Hi Elster,
    Although I have to admit I skip the sports ramblings section of your post (just not my thing), I still enjoy reading you.
    Can't wait for that subtance.
    And congrats on the new addition (sorry for being so late) :-)
    D.

    By Blogger Dayli, at 3:11 PM  

  • Joe- Here's the thing Mr. Negative - if the Mets take 2 of three from the Phils, you will be calling me out for ruining the sweep. So I will allow your bad vibes to flow off me like beaded water.

    Dayli - Good to see you back and thanks for the belated wishes.

    By Blogger Elster, at 4:51 PM  

  • Elster,

    Your three favorite teams (now that you have renounced your support for the Rangers, thank G-d) have not won a championship for a combined 90 years.

    Good times, as you might say? Or The Elster Jinx doing what it always does?

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 6:39 PM  

  • Joe - You are an idiot. I WISH I had that kind of control over sports. I'd be a very rich - and very happy - man.

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:45 PM  

  • No, you are an idiot for talking to readers in that manner.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 10:41 PM  

  • lol... Joe, the Mets have a 7.5 game lead...enjoy it and start believing

    you won the first game...so forget about the "jinx"

    By Blogger bellanny, at 11:32 PM  

  • Joe - my apologies for "offending" your sensibilities. And yes, since the Mets won this evening, it sets up perfectly for the 1-2 series debacle.

    Bell - thanks for being a man of reason.

    By Blogger Elster, at 11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home