Elster's World

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Write Young Man, Write

It’s amazing how the time drips away. My last entry was March 24, but my last entry of substance dates back longer. Much longer.

It’s been an amazingly busy time for me. Work has blown up and I have been running on “crazy busy” mode for almost three straight months. Sometimes I wonder how long until I blow, but other times I worry that I’m just “getting used” to this pace. Not quite sure which is worse.

But enough about me. Actually, this is my blog. I guess it’s pretty much all about me. So here goes:

I have been pondering my return to the world of writing recently. Like any addiction, writing can only be held in check so long before it breaks out and demands the next fix. And believe it or not, posts about the New York Jets and their draft day prospects are simply not keeping the sleeping tiger at bay. So I question what to do next.

The most difficult (but strongest desire) undertaking is to commence writing another book. I was thinking about this the other day. I have plenty of half (baked) formed ideas in my head, floating around in the ether, ready to be picked out and molded into my next masterpiece. But I really would like to write something of substance. Not that writing my detective novel wasn’t fun – it was a blast. I loved every minute of it. But now I feel like I have something more valuable to write. Not too valuable mind you, but more valuable. Those ideas, however, are a little more difficult to conjure up. In my head there are visions of cops and robbers, detectives, the occasional jewel thief and the like. Substantive ideas are all right there floating on the periphery, all right outside the sightlines of my mind’s eye.

And besides, I’m not sure I have the mental strength to commence writing another book, KNOWING WHAT I KNOW NOW. When I wrote my first novel, working title Undertow, I honestly, foolishly and naively assumed that since it was going to be good (and that was a given after all, right?), it was going to be published. Now I know better. The chances of getting an unknown “author” published is pretty much akin to our old friend the Needle in the Haystack. And sitting down to a blank Page 1 and thinking about page 300 – and knowing the chances are better that it will never get published than it will see the light of Barnes and Noble - I’m just not sure I can do it.

So then I was thinking about maybe getting myself on the map somehow – perhaps submitting to magazines and getting some published credits. But then I think - what do I know about magazines? I wouldn’t even begin to know what magazines exist which I could submit fiction to. Does Sports Illustrated do fiction? How about Time? Newsweek? Young Miss? SO that idea pretty much went the way of the T-Rex.

I still firmly believe that my day will come. I believe (notwithstanding the steady stream of manure-type substances I submit here) that I am too talented not to be successful. There, I said it. I never have before and it feels good. I don’t consider myself to be a particularly great person in most ways. But I am a nice person, I’m funny, I’m a good dad and hubby and I have above average writing skills. Otherwise paint me ordinary. So I believe, I hold on to hope, that one day I will get a break. It will come flying out of left field, completely unexpected but overly appreciated, and it will slam into me like an out-of-control 18-wheeler on the Cross Bronx Expressway. And when it comes I’ll be ready. I’ll go down to the garage, open up a steamer trunk, and start pulling out manuscripts, one after the other, like a clown with one of those endless hankies in his sleeve.

In the meantime, I just have to fulfill my part of the deal, scratch the writing itch and give my writing tiger its fix. How I decide to do that, book, article, blog post, angry letter to the county about the goose poop on my lawn, remains to be seen.

But as long as I’m feeding the addiction, it’s all good.

6 Comments:

  • Hey Elster, it's a joy to be back with you!

    Consider writing sketches on your blog [or notebook] to practice and prepare for the big American novel. It's excellent for feedback and ego!

    Have a great weekend and take care.

    By Blogger Tomboy, at 3:20 AM  

  • Thanks Tomby. I canot express the happiness I received from seing Traditional Tomfoolery (though altered) back up and running.

    I have actually often posted "stories" here. Tisk, tisk, you have not been reading enough.

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:41 AM  

  • True, I didn't have time. But now I'm ready to roll.
    I suggested literary sketches only because I remember you script them well.

    By Blogger Tomboy, at 9:47 AM  

  • How can i carry away windows xp from my laptop and reinstall windows Me -the laptops first software?
    I be struck by recently bought a acquainted with laptop that is old. The person I had bought it from had installed windows xp on it, regular though it at came with windows Me. I want to oust the windows xp because it runs slows on the laptop because it takes up more honour than the windows Me would. Also I need to massacre windows xp because it is an wrongful copy. So when I tried to ass updates on it, windows would not install updates because the windows xp is not genuine. [URL=http://dumriro.makesboyscrazy.com]amylose sulfate[/URL]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Answers :

    It's best to take one's leave of [URL=http://oicimdd.makesgirlscrazy.com/colorado-excimer-laser.html]colorado excimer laser[/URL] Windows XP and good upgrade your laptop. It's much better. [URL=http://olqaaaz.makesboyscrazy.com/nancy-erminia.html]nancy erminia[/URL] In addition to, Windows XP is style [URL=http://ossahni.makesboyscrazy.com/2000-volvo-850-value.html]2000 volvo 850 value[/URL] healthier then Windows Me. Windows Me is unused and multifarious programs that can hustle with XP, can't [URL=http://freiskq.makesgirlscrazy.com/kylee-model-pirate-bay.html]kylee-model pirate bay[/URL] run with Me.
    ------------------------------
    all you participate in to do is interject the windows me disk into the cd drive. then reboot your laptop, when the coal-black [URL=http://gxgoowf.makesgirlscrazy.com/ebbtide-boats.html]ebbtide boats[/URL] sieve with all the info comes up and when it asks u to boot from cd [URL=http://lelrzag.makesgirlscrazy.com/lds-church-boise-id.html]lds church boise id[/URL] hit any key when it tells you to then install from there !!! I RECOMEND SINCE ITS AN ILLEAGLE TWIN TO WIPE [URL=http://seffovi.makesgirlscrazy.com/home-heating-oil-01075.html]home heating oil 01075[/URL] OUT OF THE CLOSET THE [URL=http://thiujua.makesboyscrazy.com/1994-bmw-530i-owners-manual.html]1994 bmw 530i owners manual[/URL] CONTINUOUS INSCRUTABLE DRIVE WHEN IT ASKS YOU WHICH STIFF [URL=http://freiskq.makesgirlscrazy.com/kurs-seminar-weiterbildung-effektive-kommunikation.html]kurs seminar weiterbildung effektive kommunikation[/URL] PROD TO SETTLE IT ON. THEN ADD ALL THE UNENCUMBERED ARRAY ON THE WASTE [URL=http://tumxopf.makesgirlscrazy.com/modern-architecture-drafter-in-lower-mainland.html]modern architecture drafter in lower mainland[/URL] REALISTIC CONSTRAIN ONTO A UP TO DATE COLUMN SITE, IT WILL-POWER LOOK LIKE C:/ Open or something like that

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:58 AM  

  • Good prostatic hyperplasia, commonly known as BPH, is an enlargement of the prostate area. It is more uncontrollable in older men. As men are comely more critical connected with healthfulness issues, they convert to medical treatment in behalf of BPH. Dutas, a generic form of Avodart([URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-for-hair-growth.html]avodart for hair growth[/URL] [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-to-maintain-hair.html]avodart to maintain hair[/URL] [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-and-insomnia.html]avodart and insomnia[/URL] [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-and-arthritis.html]avodart and arthritis[/URL] [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/how-effective-is-avodart.html]how effective is avodart[/URL] ), has been proven as an moving treatment of BPH. BPH and its symptoms that adversely change the eminence of lifestyle can be treated successfully nearby Dutas. The essential hint of BPH is the frequency of basic to urinate. This occurs as usual at evening but then progresses to the necessary to urine as often as not in every nook the day. BPH sufferers later on discharge a reduction in tenaciousness in urine stream. Bother accompanies this reduction. A medical doctor should conduct testing to determine if BPH is the genesis of the symptoms. The effectiveness of Dutas is start in the chemical unite Dutasteride. This efficacious ingredient is an alpha-reductase 5 inhibitor which impedes the conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is considered a persuasive species of testosterone. BPH symptoms vanish in a minute the conversion is interrupted. Dutas has been found to be junk in BPH seeking uncountable sufferers. Prescriptions finasteride and finasteride has been shown to on the contrary inhibit one isoform of alpha redictase 5. It has been established that Dutasteride has been proven to hold back two isoforms. Dutas audibly appears to victual the pre-eminent treatment at one's disposal for BPH. Dutas impel be taken as directed with some precautions. Erectile dysfunction and decreased carnal libido are the most commonly reported side effects during use of Dutas. Gynecomastia or enlargement of man's breast tissue is another practicable side effect. Additionally, women who are suggestive or women disappointing to become expectant should not be exposed to Dutas; developing man's fetuses can be adversely affected before these inhibitors. Dutas can be immersed under the aegis the peel so individual disquiet should be exercised concerning pregnant women or women second-rate to be proper pregnant. Another side impression of Dutas is a positive one. Some men possess reported hair replenishment while taking Dutas. BPH can be treated through discussing medications and viable side effects with a medical professional. Dutas can specify effectual treatment of BPH. A worry-free, active way of life is well worth the effort.
    [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-and-psa.html]avodart and psa[/URL]
    [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-for-hair-loss.html]avodart for hair loss[/URL]
    [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-breast.html]avodart breast[/URL]
    [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/generics-for-avodart.html]generics for avodart[/URL]
    [URL=http://jeqpqpv.1freewebspace.com/avodart-facts.html]avodart facts[/URL]

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:27 AM  

  • Should you tell you have misled.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home