Elster's World

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Ramblings of a Fool

- The fact that the Jets fired Terry Bradway is not surprising. The timing, however, is. Why now? Why not when head coach Eric Mangini was hired? Of course, I have theories:

1. Owner Woody Johnson simply bowed to public opinion. There has been a serious backlash against Bradway, especially now that the fans don't have Herman Edwards to kick around anymore.

2. Simply put, Bradway lost his power struggle with Mangini. Mike Tannenbaum, the new general manager, is very close with Mangini. Could be that Woody Johnson is just trying to keep his new coach happy.

- Isaiah Thomas has basically put the world on notice that the Knicks are sellers in the market. Any player can be had, just name your price. Here's the question. Didn't Thomas already fire-sale the team last year? He already re-did the entire roster, now he gets to do it again? And if you are going to be a trade partner, why put yourself at a disadvantage by letting everyone know you are a seller? Can't you at least try and play poker with opposing GM's? And yes, I realize that was four questions.

The Knicks, already in cap hell, recently traded Antonio Davis' expiring contract for Jalen Rose's 16 million dollars next year. Now they will do the same thing with Penny Hardaway's expiring contract. I don't get it. Thomas is simply firing in the well in an attempt to save his job. In doing so, he is mucking up the cap situation even worse than it is now. Why is he allowed to do this? Does James Dolan have a brain? He should put a moratorium on Isaiah making trades at this point.

The Knicks were not going to make the playoffs anyway this year. Why not let Davis and Hardaway finish with the team this season, effectively clearing almost 30 million dollars off the cap for next year? Doesn't this make sense? While the KNicks would still be in trouble, at least they will be in les trouble.

- I just found out that my best friend in my department at work is going to leave. This is devastating on many levels. For starters, he is the only person in my department I even talk to. Even worse, he is the hardest worker in the department. His vacancy will create a giant work void that I will (at least partially) be asked to fill. Not good times. I hate doing my own work, I have no real interest in taking on any more.

Truthfully though, I have started looking for another job. There are even a couple of things on the radar. One of which I might actually be interested in. So, I cross my fingers and begin the process of hoping for the best. Or at least a quick exit out of my current hell.

- Interestingly, Sitemeter tells me that I have recently been getting more traffic at Elster's World. However, I have been getting significantly less comments. I wonder if that means that my new admirers are simply coming here accidentally, or if what I wrote about does not inspire comment. I must give this more thought.

7 Comments:

  • The problem is that you are wasting too much time on sports. I know that I'd much rather read about what kind of pizza you ate that night in Israel when you were hanging out with that girl.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 10:45 AM  

  • Joe you are so ironical

    By Blogger Elster, at 10:55 AM  

  • im up and running!... fast!

    By Blogger aily, at 1:10 PM  

  • Welcome Aily

    By Blogger Elster, at 1:11 PM  

  • Oh and Joe, what makes you think I hung out wit girls when I was in Israel??? I don't know if I should be delighted or insulted.

    By Blogger Elster, at 1:36 PM  

  • I wasn't necessarily referring specifically to you, but to a new and popular genre of blogs (mostly authored by females) that discuss those topics. It's about time you stopped posting about a bunch of men running around, and start posting about what happened when you took a girl to that movie.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 6:16 PM  

  • BTW, on what basis do you write that "the fans don't have Herman Edwards to kick around anymore."

    As far as I'm concerned, we will always have Herman Edwards to kick around.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home