Elster's World

Monday, February 20, 2006

The President's Day Weekend Suite

I don’t want to work
I just wanna bang on the drum all day

I am a very big fan of long weekends. Not only does it allow me to actually enjoy my Sundays (as opposed to getting the pre-work jitters at 3:00 and letting that flush the rest of the day for me) but it shortens the following week. Now I’m walking in on a Tuesday and if I can fight my way through it, we are into the midway point already. Solid karma all around.

I’m so tired, I hardly slept a wink.
I’m so tired, my mind is on the blink.

Shabbos (Saturday for the uncircumcised) was very nice. We spent Friday night setting up the table for our lunch company. After we were through, I sat down with my Artscroll Baba Basra and learned for about an hour (I have committed to learning the first three Perakim of Baba Basra in the next 6 months so I need to get rolling). I got about a daf done (about half of what I set out to do) before tiredness washed over me like a wave. Suffice it to say, many hours of sleep followed.

Saturday, Saturday Saturday
Saturday (night’s) all right

The lunch company went well. We had some new people who moved into the neighborhood, some neighbors who just moved back into their home after a fire took it last year (no one was hurt thank the Lord) and some new friends from our shul (synagogue). In honor of McAryeh, the menu:

Mushroom and Romain salad
Garlic Chicken
Silver tip roast
Potato and squash kugel
Cholent
Cole Slaw
Spiced up cauliflower
Etc.

In short, there was a lot of food. It was nice and the crowd seemed to get along well. Of course, by the time all was said and done, it was too late for the shabbos afternoon nap. Needless to say, this made me tired all over again. Didn’t do much once shabbos was over but still managed to get to bed way too late for my own good.

It’s the sport of kings
Better than diamond rings
Football

Sunday morning football was cold. Very cold. Elster set a personal record by wearing four layers on his top half. As I have recent dropped about 12 pounds, I was still able to actually move around. The game was sucky but they can’t all be great. It’s tough to throw, catch or grab flags when your hands can barely move. Still, I love to run around and play football every Sunday. Makes me feel like a kid. By the way, did I mention that I will be 33 in under three weeks?


We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

We took the kids and went to my parents for Sunday night dinner. My dad barbequed. My wife was very impressed until I reminded her that my father is impervious to cold. If he was ever sentenced to life in the Siberian Gulag, you would find him there coatless and sweating. My sister, brother in law and their 5 kids were there. I love the way my kids interact wit their cousins. At the end of the day, it’s all about family.

We got the kids home and tucked into bed. All was set for an early bedtime until I caught that The Missing was on some movie channel we were getting free for the weekend. Never one to pass up a free movie, I couldn’t resist. Fell asleep some time after one. Sensing a theme here?

Green is the colour of her kind
Quickness of the eye deceives the mind
Many is the bond between the hopefull and the damned

Except in Monday’s case, green is the color of money. And a lot of green was spilled. Damn, it was hemorrhaging. We all have out bad days. Among the damage: A new coffee table for our recently furnished living room, 2 new suits for yours truly (including one that was so hideously expensive – and therefore so out of character for me, that I still cannot believe that I bought it and three rides on the carousel at the mall for the young-uns. The way I look at it is, I work like an animal at a job that I cannot stand tok make the money. Is it so terrible if I splurge every once in a while? Exactly.

Sleep will not come to this tired body now
peace will not come to this lonely heart

Well, as it’s only 8:10 right now, the jury is still out. All I have to do is watch 24 and then I should be in a position to go right to sleep. I hold no such illusions. If anyone wants to come visit me I’m sure I’ll be right here at about midnight.

Later.

5 Comments:

  • London Broil, not Silver Tip. My bad.

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:04 PM  

  • I was horribly confused. I was thinking to myself, What is a silver tip roast? And then I decided surely you meant meat that had a bullet still in it from the kill...

    But now, you clarified. Thank goodness.

    You will be 33 soon? Eleven years older than I are you. How entertaining to me!

    Oh, and congrats on the lost weight. May you not find it again until you are ready.

    By Blogger Miss Nibbles, at 11:51 PM  

  • Great post Elster, your quotes are what make me smile the most. "wildcats" is a classic for those of us from the era, thanks for the flashback.

    By Blogger The Real Neo, at 12:38 PM  

  • MN - Welcome and thanks for commenting. My goal in life is to confuse people 11 yearsyounger than me so thanks for the opportunity.

    TT - It's good to see you have returned from the abyss.

    By Blogger Elster, at 1:19 PM  

  • thanks elster, but i never went anywhere, even though i may have commenting dryspells. your blog always gives me something to look forward to.

    By Blogger The Real Neo, at 7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home