Elster's World

Friday, February 10, 2006

Friday Musings

Well, another week has come and gone. It’s much colder than it was the week before. The winter’s first storm is crawling towards us, making it the perfect time to curl up in front of the computer, hot chocolate in hand, and catch up with Elster’s Friday Musings:

- First off, does anyone really care about the winter Olympics, coming at you live from Torino, Italy, starting this evening? To be honest, I’m not such a huge fan of the Olympics in general. But the winter Olympics are especially, how do I say this…boring.

All forms of ice skating (including ice dancing, ice skating and any race where the individuals wear skates)? Boring. Skiing? How many times can you watch people go down the mountain? The only thing that changes is the color of the skin-tight unis. Ditto for bobsled and sculling. Sure, hockey’s great, but I’d much rather watch the New York Rangers play than the United States team. And don’t even get me started on curling. How can this be an Olympic sport but Baseball and softball cannot? It’s played with brooms for pity’s sake. Can you say anti-America bias? I sure can.

- Enough has been written about the Denmark/Islam rift and I don’t have much to add except this: How can the Iranian reaction be to start a Holocaust cartoon contest to come up with the most offensive anti-Holocaust cartoon. Are we back in first grade? Then the world wonders why “radical Islam” is so difficult. These people are all certifiably insane. The sooner we start treating them as such the better it will be for everyone.

- The last three episodes of my favorite television show, Lost, have been extremely disappointing. Has the show Jumped the Shark” in season 2? Much soul searching is required.

- ESPN’s Mike and Mike reported this morning, in an interview yesterday explaining why NBC gave the rights to some “Oswald the Rabbit” cartoons to ESPN as part of the compensation package for Al Michaels, Dick Ebersol (uber-bigshot at NBC) stated that Michaels was more valuable as a broadcaster than Herman Edwards is as a coach, thus the compensation for Michaels was more significant than the fourth round pick the Jets received as compensation for Edwards jumping to Kansas City. Setting aside the truth of this statement, Mike Greenberg astutely mentioned that despite having nothing to do with Michaels of Oswald, somehow the Jets managed to get ripped in all this. Point being, the Jets organization is an absolute joke right now. I blame this on owner Woody Johnson, fired GM Terry Bradway and Edwards as well. I wish good luck and full steam ahead to new coach Eric Mangini and new GM Mike Tannenbaum. You guys are going to need it.

- Well, Shabbos is almost upon us. Personally I cannot wait. It is my time to relax, be with my family, go to sleep early and just generally be at peace. In other good news, the weekend snowstorm means that my weekly Sunday morning football game will be a Snow Bowl. Good times all around.

3 Comments:

  • My response is at my site.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 2:12 PM  

  • What did you find so disapointing about Lost? I thought it was good, but I never really watched the first season, so maybe I don't know something about it... Shavua tov!

    By Blogger SS, at 1:57 PM  

  • Joe - Ouch. I have responded to your slanderous (though partly true) attacks at your site.

    SS - The show seems to be trying alittle too hard these past few weeks. The "Charlie" episodem(2 weeks ago) was a total waste. This past weeks was almost silly in how they have flipped Sawyer back to a "bad guy"/

    Last season, every episode kept you on the edge of your seat and then surprised you at the end. If you have the funds, I highly recommend you either buy or rent the first season on DVD. If you like season 2, you will be blown away by season 1. Also important for character developmnrt.

    By Blogger Elster, at 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home