Elster's World

Monday, January 30, 2006

Quick Thoughts From The Returning Hero

Editor's Note: I have very little time and just want to post. Please excuse all spelling and other errors. This editor will not be aditing:

- Well here's the shock of ages. The Palestinian elections were won by Hamas, a group which is so terribly evil that they are even on the European Union's terrorist list. In other words, they are really, really bad. Yet, the Palestinian people voted for these murderers to run their government. Can we really still look upon these people and call them partners in peace? Can we finally put that joke to bed? These people don't deserve the freedom to vote. And they certainly do not deserve additional concessions from the Israelis (or more arm twisating by the US).

- While on vacation the whole Kris benson trade passed me right by. While I do not think that benson is a big game pitcher, and certainly he was overpaid, the mets rotation can no longer be looked at as a position of strength; which it arguably was before the trades of Benson and Seo. On top of the, I for one will miss Anna Benson. Every championship team needs a crazy wife/girlfriend to make everyone else look sane. Now that is lost. Alas.

- I was happy to see Donnie Henderson land a defensive coordinator job in the NFL. I have no idea who any of the Jets coaches are at this point, but it's time to give up control to a higher power (and D'brickashaw Fergeson) and hope for the best.

- I just finished watching Season I of the new Battlestar Galactica and I have to say it is one of the finer shows on tv. It has fine acting, suspense and excellent writing. Unfortuntately, since it's technically a "sci-fi" show, it scares people off. Too bad, often, wonderful programs are hurt for a variety of silly reasons. Galactica is an example of that, so is Veronica mars, deemed to be a "high school" show despite the fact that it has some of the best writing in the industry. Whatever.

- Miami was packed with jews. We were waiting on line at a restaurant one night when I mentioned to Mrs. Elster that the last time I saw this many jews in one plkace it was Yom Kippur. But I don't care. We had a great time. The weather was nice, the kosher food pletiful and it was really great to get away for a week. Of course, I did not get to eat a meal at Roert Averech's place (Seraphic Secret writer) like Joe, but California was too long a trip for my little ones. Three hours on an airplane was enough for me.

- Funny anecdote - We were getting lunch at a cafe one day and in walks 2 chassidish women and a chassidish man. One of the women asks the owner if the food is cholov yisroel. The owner replies the food is cholov stam, but there is cholov yisrael milk for coffee. Woman looks at her firend and her husband with a furrowed brow:

"Do you think I can eat a salad here?"

Her friends looks at the husband. He furrows brow and hems and haws "I don't know.....maybe it's only a salad it's ok..."

I am not poking fun. It just struck me that it's salad. The hashgacha is still good. There is no cholov involved. It's not like it was a non-kosher restaurant.

Anyhoo, some quick thoughts as I catch up with the Blogverse, which seems to be passing me by.

4 Comments:

  • Anna Benson was nothing special.

    I can understand the chasidim in the restaurant. These people only eat at places that have cholov yisrael, so for them it's questionable whether it's okay to eat at a place that serves food that for them is not acceptable. Many of us forget that the heter for cholov stam is a real leniency and in some ways based on a minority halachic view.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 11:20 AM  

  • Understood. But the retautrant itself is under a valid hashgacha. She was not eating anything with milk in it.

    I only found it funny because to me iot's like the modern orthodox guy deciding if he can buy a bagel from a non kosher store

    By Blogger Elster, at 12:22 PM  

  • I've done the same thing. I've gone places with friends who didn't keep kemach yoshon or cholov yisroel, and I wouldn't even eat a salad. Of course I know people who wouldn't have even stayed in the place. Some people refuse to be seen in one. But to each his/her own. No?

    By Blogger Eshet Chayil, at 12:46 PM  

  • Yes. I agree. I definately was not, and am not, judging. People are free to decide how too live within the parameters.

    By Blogger Elster, at 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home