Elster's World

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

More Thoughts

- It's January 31 and winter has not even started yet in New York. The weather has been something like ten degrees above average so far and it hasn't really snowed since early December. I have to say, this doesn't bother me in the least. As my readers know, I hate winter. I hate cold, snow, barren trees and dead grass. I'm more of a spring and summer man myself.

But I wonder what this all means for spring and summer. One thing I know for certain is that Old Man Winter never ends up with the short end of the stick. Never. So we are either going to have something like thirty inches of snowfall between now and March or it will be in the sixties through June. Did I mention that I hate the winter?

- I believe that we are living through an unprecedented era of pretty good television. Now as a general rule, I think tv is a pretty big waste of time if abused. I think that there are much better uses for our few precious free hours a day. But I also think that, in moderation, there is nothing wrong with unwinding in front of the tube.

And my what we can unwind with. There's the fifth season of 24, Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Veronica Mars and numerous CSI's and Laws and Orders (and no, I do not watch all these shows). Cable has added an entirely new dimension as well. HBO and Showtime have a number of award winners, and on regular cable you have Rescue Me, The Shield, Nip/Tuck (for you depraved individuals) and my personal favorite, Battlestar Galactica (proclaimed by many critics to be the best show on tv). I watch four shows a week from the above list. Plus sports. Plus occasionally some of Mrs. Elster's shows. But I digress.

While the moral line on tv is rushing its way towards the toilet, there is quality on television that has never been seen before.

- I think I'm done for now.

4 Comments:

  • Unfortunately, I believe it will be the former. As you so aptly said, "Old Man Winter never gets the short end of the stick." My prediction-snow, and cold, and lots of it. Good luck!

    By Blogger Michelle, at 6:11 PM  

  • Thanks for commenting Michelle. It's always nice to see new faces.

    By Blogger Elster, at 6:13 PM  

  • You're not alone in hating winter, I consider it my worst foe.
    I'm cold, too often sick, and the mornings and the evenings look like night.

    By Blogger Pragmatician, at 4:27 AM  

  • You can always get the good stuff on DVD (24 is fantastic!). Sure you'll be behind and out of the loop, but it's worth not having to be brainwashed by those commercials. And having these shows be occasional entertainment instead of an integral part of your daily life. Whatever. It's each individual's choice to make.

    By Blogger brianna, at 8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home