Elster's World

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Crazy Eights (Divided By Two)

Editor's Note: If you have not yet seen the previous post, Literay Elster, please do. It's one I worked harder on than most and, dammit, it's pretty good if I do say so myself.

Well, I’ve been tagged by just about the only person who I would actually do this for, McAryeh at A Whispering Soul. Apparently, Memes are all the rage these days with the kids. What you are supposed to do is list things in categories of four. Or something. Well, I’m just a kid at heart anyway so why not.

Note: I will take liberties with the categories as necessary.

Four of my favorite foods:
- A perfectly grilled hotdog (with yellow mustard and saurkraut of course (that’s freedom cabbage to all of you patriots) – mmmm hotdogs
- A medium rare tournedos at Le Marais (with bernaise on the side)
- 2 nicely done slices of pizza
- My wife’s cholent (that should score me some serious home points)

Four movies I’ve walked out on:
- Me, Myself and Irene
- Army of Darkness (though in my defense, had I known that Bruce Campbell was the king of these campy horror/shlock movies, I never would have walked out.
- I cannot recall walking out of any other movies. As someone else mentioned (RX maybe?) I paid good money for these films.

Four Places I’ve Lived:
- Israel
- Riverdale
- Washington Heights
- Upper West Side (but only for one year and I never stayed for shabbos)

Four of My Favorite Vacations:
- Israel
- Miami
- Charlevoix province of Quebec (absolutely magnificent)
- Puerto Rico

My Four Dream vacations:
- Tahiti/Bora Bora
- New Zealand
- Israel with my kids (soon – well, not that soon)
- Some sort of eco tourist thing in a place like Costa Rica

Four Movies I will watch whenever they are on– Though by no means the four greatest movies on my list
- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (and yes, you either understand me or you don’t)
- Aliens (greatest action movie ever)
- Field of Dreams
- Dazed and Confused

Four (ok three) Favorite Bands:
- The Beatles
- Pink Floyd
- The mighty Led Zeppelin


Four Jobs that I’ve held
- Attorney
- Writer (though only in unofficial capacities
- Camp counselor
- Father (best job)

Four Places I Don’t Like
- My office
- New Jersey
- Iran
- Hell

Deserted Island Necessities (assuming no people)
- My Ipod (with endless battery life)
- Pictures of my family
- Artscroll set of Shas (might as well make good use of my time)
- Sunscreen

Four Live People I’d Like to Meet
- James Lee Burke
- Robert Plant
- Peter Jackson – So I could shake his hand
- My soon to be born child


Well, I could go on forever. Literally. But I guess that’s enough to fulfill my meme requirements. As for tagging, sorry, I don’t tag. If you want to carry the torch, feel free.

13 Comments:

  • If we met on a deserted island, we would have little to exchange, I'd also bring a few artscroll items and my Ipod of course!

    By Blogger Pragmatician, at 11:08 AM  

  • Ah, but maybe our tatse in music would be different enough, and you Artscroll sefarim would nicely supplement mine. It's all about thinking positive.

    By Blogger Elster, at 11:15 AM  

  • Heh. Honored you would do a meme for me. Are the four places you don't like in dislike order? If so, ouch for New Jersey at beating out Iran and hell! Would not have pegged you for the eco tourist sort of thing type - but pretty cool choice nonetheless. Elster, you've got to tell me your fourth favorite band. you can't hold out on me like that. I'm dying over here....

    Good luck on the home scoring points front with the cholent mention...sweet move there.

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 12:35 PM  

  • Elster Elster... you leave no email address - so I will have to post this to your comments section:

    I just got this in my email box - and thought you might be interested:

    Published author, editor, writing teacher & motivational writing coach with "connections" is looking for publishable book-length manuscripts.
    If you have a novel, biography or non-fiction work in progress, I can coach, edit, polish and help you find an agent. I will work pro-bono for material that has the potential to be a good seller, taking 25% of the royalties as my payment. Please send me a 1 page cover letter, concise synopsis or outline and the first 5 pages of your book.
    Please DO NOT send me sexually explicit or violent material. Also, no sci-fi, poetry, essay, short stories or children's books.

    Thanks,

    Shoshana Lepon
    lepon@zahav.net.il

    By Blogger turquoiseblue, at 3:32 PM  

  • Thanks turq - Though all those "in the know" warn against anyone who takes money to clean upyour book and help you get it published. Thanks though.

    By Blogger Elster, at 3:55 PM  

  • Well actually, part of her offer was to accept payment only AFTER it is published... if she thinks the material is that good.

    (I happen to know "of" her - not only through this email...)

    But in any case - wish you much luck in getting your work published!

    By Blogger turquoiseblue, at 5:49 PM  

  • Dude, you like Field of Dreams? It's my favorite movie! I can't honestly say it's the greatest flick of all time, but it does it for me. I've seen countless times and never get tired of it

    By Blogger Jewboy, at 7:46 PM  

  • Field of dreams is on a very short list of movies that gets better every time you see it.

    By Blogger Elster, at 10:04 PM  

  • dazed and confused is good .

    i wish i had an ipod to bring with me.....

    By Blogger dietgarage, at 12:16 AM  

  • You can make batteries with salt water and negative and positive somethings that I forgot. Which is why if I were ever offered to go to a deserted island with just three things I'd ask for that thing (subcategories would include that I want it in negative and positive), a cell phone (which is what I'd use the homemade batteries for), and a book titled "How to Survive on a Deserted Island When You Realize That The Three Things You Brought Don't Help."

    By Blogger BrownsvilleGirl, at 3:37 AM  

  • I think waiting to meet you unborn child takes that cake. How sweet.

    By Blogger Eshet Chayil, at 11:53 AM  

  • Me Myself and Irene was absolutely horrible - I didn't walk out (was with other people) but I should have. It's amazing that no one saw fit to edit this thing.

    By Blogger Mata Hari, at 2:07 PM  

  • I really need to add another movie to the list of those I could watch whenever they come on. The 13th Warrior, with Antonio bandera, based upon the novel Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton. I have no idea why this movie did so poorly at the box office. People's taste's continue to astound me.

    By Blogger Elster, at 11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home