Elster's World

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Like David Bowie says. I need a change. I look at my last few posts when I check in and I'm sick of 'em. Not that there's anything wrong with them per se. Sports, books, pnuemonia; It's an absolute blogger's feast. I just want to see something else.

The nights come much quicker now don't they? They just seem to spring upon us, unlike the summer when shadows slowly crawl in over the course of hours (not seconds). I'll be doing something on my computer at work (most likely wasting time) and the next thing I know nightime blackens my window like an oil spill in emeral green waters.

The short days of winter have a lesson built into them. Or at least I see a lesson in there. Time is short. Our time on Earth seems endless when we waste away the lazy summer days of our youth. It's almost as though we will live forever under blue skies and green trees. But as our winters approach, the shadows grow longer quicker. We pick up our proverbial heads and lo, it's almost night time.

And the first thought we have when we see the darkness is panic. How can it be night already? Where have the hours of sunlight gone? And we know in our hearts that we can never get the subnlight back.

I'm not trying to be depressing. To the contrary. I don't want to sudenly see that the fleeting day has become night. I want to live in the light to the fullest extent. I want to take a chance. I want to break away from night's bonds and be free. I want to run ahead of the setting sun. I want to fly before the shadows, laugh in their face and say...."you will never catch me."

12 Comments:

  • Sounds like you need one of those massages with the hot rocks on your back... The world looks different after on of those.

    By Blogger Littleredridinghoodie, at 5:31 PM  

  • Is it really THAT simple?

    By Blogger Elster, at 5:47 PM  

  • hum so i take it you dont like the night
    longer nights do have good points the city looks better at night
    people go home faster inthe winter time leaving the city emptier, quieter, cleaner
    less smog less noise
    more aluring more romantic

    i like the winter nights

    By Blogger kathyt, at 5:50 PM  

  • 1. You have a window?

    2. One day you shall see the irony in the comments to this thread.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 5:53 PM  

  • Why are you on PST instead of EST?

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 5:54 PM  

  • A bit melancholy and wistful- I like it. What kind of break did you have in mind? A take this job and shove it kind of break?

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 11:36 PM  

  • Kath - While I'm more of a datime over night time and summer over winter guy, I am actually referring to the more allegorical night.

    Joe - I'm on PST because I love California - or because I'm too lazy to switch the default time.

    Mc - I'm not really 100% sure. I'm working it all out in my head. Have you started applying for psychology schools yet? If you want me to set you up with EK, lemme know

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:12 AM  

  • Thanks, Elster. I have started the process, but I am going the marriage and family therapy route, and not the school psychology path EK went for. Still very uneasy about it, but sometimes you just have to jump...

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 11:40 PM  

  • elster, you are like the proverbial gingerbread man....
    "run, run, as fast as you can
    you can't catch me, i'm the gingerbread man!"

    seriously, great post, i totally get where you are. winter makes you realize that you cannot take things for granted.
    just thinking about in literature where winter represents the end of a life cycle...okay, enough.

    lemonade, anyone?

    By Blogger bec, at 10:15 PM  

  • embrace the light.
    i have faith in you.
    probably doesn't help that much but i like to put mt two cents in.

    By Blogger dietgarage, at 12:37 AM  

  • I can totally understand your perspective... But perhaps you can try to enjoy the moment for what it is?

    On a more literal note :) ... Oh how I TREASURE these long winter nights.

    ...It means kids going to bed sooner = catching-up time... More shmoozing time with hubs/more time for myself...

    Yep, "different as night and day" :)

    By Blogger turquoiseblue, at 3:25 AM  

  • Thanks for all responses.

    Diet - All responses (and everyone's 2 cents) are appreciated.

    I hate literal winter because it's cold and it snows. I don't care very much for either of them.

    I hate literary winter because it reminds us of how frail our own mortality is. I just don't want to look back on my fleeting (professional) life and say sadly that I failed to accomplish anything I was really proud of.

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home