Elster's World

Sunday, November 27, 2005

What's Next For Elster

Apologies in advance. This post is more about me thinking out loud than writing things of note. Feel free to skip it.

Well, the last 2 months have been un-creative. Very un-creative. With the exception of the drivel I vomit forth here every once in a while, I haven't done any writing at all.

I have not given up on my book. Really. I haven't. But at the same time, I guess I can't keep staring at it and pretending that I am still being creative just because I finished it. After all, I typed the last correction and finalized the thing in April. Now, it's the end of November. It's time to move on.

But where? That's the (multi-)million dollar question. I have a number of projects swimming around in my head. I have already started the sequal to my book. Of course, writing a sequal to an unpublished work is the proverbial putting the cart before the horse. So while The Sequal has been started (about 40-50 pages on paper) and almost completely mapped out, I don't think I am going to work on that now. (Unless I decide the put the original book away and work on The Sequal as though it is the first. Painful, but a thought.)

Then there's the book I was going to write for that November is Writer's Month thing. After deciding I had no interest in trying to churn out a book in a month, I realized that I still had a good idea for another crime fiction novel in front of me. But since I was just going to sit and write it, I have no outline. All I have is the idea and that's it. So I would have to start this one petty much from scratch.

Or, I could go in an entirely different direction. When I was a kid, I loved post-apocalyptic novels - novels taking place soon after a catastrophic event wiped out the majority of the population and the way that the survivors handle that situation. The cream of the crop - King's The Stand and McCammon's Swan Song. The downside: These types of books tend to be epics - they take forever to write and can pretty easily stall out. I have no interest in psending the next six months writing a story only to discover that I am not able to finish it. Also, I'd probably end up writing a copy of The Stand and Swan Song, which are actually pretty similar to each other to begin with. So this one's on the back-burner for a while.

The other off the beaten track project is more of a sci-fi thing that just has always been floating around in my head. But I don't know if I really want to write sci-fi. Not that I couldn't, I just don't know if I want to. Takes a lot more imagination I would think.

Well, this has not been helpful at all. But at least I've mapped out the choices here so that when I come here to look for those elusive comments I will have no choice but to focus on the question at hand.

Happy Sunday all.

13 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home