Elster's World

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Tuesday Afternoon

Today's post title honors the Moody Blues' great song. So, as I sit here at work, totally under the weather and counting down the hours, some of my infamous random thoughts:

- Barring a MAJOR UPSET, Mayor Bloomberg will probably win today's election handily. The funny thing about Mike Bloomberg is that he could have spent about twenty million to do it, as opposed to one hundred and twenty. When was the last time the Post, Newsday and Times agreed about anything? Yet all three endorsed Bloomberg. He was going to win this thing anyway. But hey, it's his money, let him do what he wants wth it.

- Saw Batman Begins on Sunday night. Liked it very much. So much, in fact, that I am willing to crown it the best of the franchise, with just the slightest of margins of victory over the original Michael Keaton/Jack Nicholson job. Not sure why. Probably because they played it straight. I like camp, but it don't exactly make for great movies.

- The Rangers are probably one offensive player away from being a solid playoff mover and shaker. Too much stress on the Jagr/Nylander/Straka line. Even when Rucinsky comes back, this team still needs another go to scorer on the second line. You saw it last night. Nylader hurt his leg and the whole line wasn't as effective.

(2 side notes to the Rangers - 1. Jagr is getting too much consecutive ice time. You can see it. He gets tired and does bad things with the puck. His turnover at the blueline led to the Sidney Crosby goal that put the Pens up 2-0.

2. They went down 3-0 in the third but fought back to within a couple of good saves of tying the game last night. This team does not quit. The fight and scrape and it makes for entertainment. Again, I wonder how the ratings are doing...

And a bonus 3. I was surprised Weeks got the start last night. I understand Renny's "hot hand" theory, but how do you sit Hank Lundqvist for three games in a row? His goals against and save percentage are fantastic. You have to keep him game ready.)

- So let's see. I began November with the lofty goal of writing a book in 30 days. On November second, I gave up, instead playing the "Well, I'd rather get the book I already wrote published" card. Here we are on November 8th, and I have done nothing. In my defense, I've been sick since Saturday night and it hurt my back to sit. But in truth, I'm running out of ways to advance the thing. I have only a few more agents to send to. My publisher friend told me last week she hasn't looked at it yet (as an aside, we decided to attend her chuppa (actual ceremony) only and forego the reception) so I've completely written her off as an asset.

In short, I am begining to feel the first sense of "this whole book thing may not work out for me" panic. I guess I always thought if you wrote something good, it would get published (and maybe even be successful). The lesson I have learned is that writing a book, good or bad, is the easiest part of the whole freaking process. Easier than getting someone to read it. Easier still, than getting someone to publish it. Does that make sense to you because I struggle with that logic all the time.

Now, one could argue that it's simply not good and that's why I cannot find a representative for it. But that presupposed that someone has actually read it. No, my friends, these people won't even read it.

An aside: my mom keeps asking to read it. She is one of the few people who even know I wrote it. I keep telling her not yet. I don'y know why. Probably because it has cursing and other bad stuff in it (no, no hot sex scenes, sorry) and I worry about my parent's reaction. I don't know.

- Wow, I cannot decide if that was cathartic or if it made me feel worse. It has made me not want to write anymore now. So I guess I'll just leave you with that.

9 Comments:

  • Some of my best work (not fiction or books) went unpublished, which is why I started blogging.

    The Rangers are more than one player away. I expect them to struggle to make the playoffs.

    I agree that Lundqvist should have started last night.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 5:01 PM  

  • How many unpublished books hsave you written?

    By Blogger Elster, at 7:22 PM  

  • None, as stated I'm not referring to books.

    Have you looked at the web site I once mentioned?

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 9:22 PM  

  • ooops - thought you wrote NON fiction

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:40 PM  

  • Yes. Writing is the easiest part. And even after it get to the publisher there are no fewer than 8,539,677,203,691,068 steps from there. No exaggerating.

    By Blogger BrownsvilleGirl, at 7:48 AM  

  • Yes well that certainly is a lot of steps. All very frustrating really. On the bright side, at least I've knocked off theeasiest part...

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:19 AM  

  • hey, hope you are feeling better, Elster. Sorry you are having such a hard time with the publishing world. Might be worthwhile to work on a different book or some stories and then come back to the first book later to alleviate the frustration...but please don't stop writing!

    Great Moody Blues song to title the post with. Peaked at #24 in 1968.

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 2:41 AM  

  • FYI:

    Pnuemnonia - possibly a kidney stone as well. banner week...

    By Blogger Elster, at 12:22 PM  

  • Wow. Refuah Shleimah. Hope you feel better soon.

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 3:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home