Elster's World

Friday, November 04, 2005

On Yitzchak Rabin and France

I don't have much to add to either topic but I believe both warrant mentioning.

- To read a fantastic series of posts on Rabin, I direct you to http://jschick.blogspot.com/. Joe's posts (always fantastic, by the way) are dead on.

As a kid (22 at the time, give or take), I never had much use for politics. Still don't actually. But the murder of the Israeli Prime Minister by another jew still staggers me to this day. The fact that this was condoned by certain extremist rabbis is even more disturbing. The fact that CNN reports (unofficially at least) that about 20% of Israelis think Yigal Amir (who has never expressed remorse for his crime) should be pardoned. Pardoned? I think maybe he should have gotten the chair.

How did Rabin's untimely death affect the peace process? I don't think we will ever know. But we do know this. Ten years later Israel has heartwrenchingly given up land...but still has not gained the sought-after peace. Or gained anything at all really, except for the scorn of the other nations.

Alas for the death of a fellow jew at the hands of another jew. Alas for us all.

- France. So let's see. France lets all these muslim immigrants in. The government sits on its hands as Anti-Semitic actions against French jews (mostly by these muslim immigrants) skyrocket. The French government sits on its hands while same muslim immigrants do what they do best; sit around and do nothing, waiting for others to give them things.

Now these muslim immigrants are rioting and the suberbs of France are in flames.

Why, exactly, are we supposed to care?

Have a nice weekend (good shabbos) y'all.

2 Comments:

  • Thanks for the kind comments. Have a good shabbos.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 1:00 PM  

  • The day Rabin died was one of the saddest days in my life. It shaped me and my political opnions.

    The fact I was friends with his daughter gave me another perspective of his death.

    Yigal Amir shoul dhave gotten then chair - if we had capital punishment in Israel. The fact he could be pardoned makes me sick to my stomach.

    As for the French - "what goes around comes around" comes to mind.

    Shabbat Shalom.

    By Blogger Dayli, at 4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home