Elster's World

Friday, November 18, 2005

Fridays with Elster

Welcome to the Home Sick edition of Fridays with Elster. In this week's musings, we will cover topics as wide ranging as the Mets, the Rangers and anything else I think up in the next several minutes. I will not rant about my book. (Until I have something new to rant about that is.) So, on the the random thoughts.

- Disturbing Dreams: I have had a series of disturbing dreams the last few weeks. Three dreams, to be exact. Quick rundown:

Dream 1: After a great game of tackle foootball in my parent's living room, I decide to go to (law) school the next day to tell all my friends about how I did. I show up to my classroom and it's mobbed. There were hundreds of students. I realize there is a final exam about to start and I cannot even get access to my locker because I fogot the combination. So, not even knowing the subject matter, I sit at my desk and ask myself how I'm going to pull off a C. The crazy part was, I wasn't even nervous.

Dream 2: Don't really remember well, but I was again in school and again not able to figure out what I was to do. (Sorry, don't really remember this one)

Dream 3: Last night, dreamed I was in my father-in-law's shul on erev Yom Kippur. My dad was there, too. Suddenly it was time for Kol Nidre and I was struggling to find my tallis or machzor and I was holding an esrog which I needed to get rid off before sundown. Then I woke up.

All three of these dreams seem to be telling me that I am not prepared for something. of course, I have no idea what. I'm hoping for fame and fortune. We shall see.

- After watching the Rangers play last night (bad loss to Carolina) and Tuesday night (tough loss to Toronto), I reiterate my position. They need a second line scorer to balance the scoring and get production from another line. Anyone know when Martin Rucinsky is expected back?

- Ok you non-sports fans, here's a question for you: Say you had a player on your baseball team who was considered one of the better defensive center fielders in baseball. Say there was a serious shotage of defensive center fielders and at last 5 teams were in desperate need on one. Now add that your center fielder (let's call him Mike) had good power, could steal a base or two and, as a special bonus, was the blackest guy you have ever seen. Like pure ebony. So here's the question: Why would you trade that guy for Xavier Nady??? Couldn't the Mets have done even a little better? Do the Padres have nude photos of Omar Minaya?

The only thing I could come up with was (i) always key to have a guy named "Xavier" on your squad, and (ii) the Mets are freeing up money to try and land Carlos Delgado or Manny "Crazy" Ramirez. Any thoughts?

- The Shuffle: I have recently taken to shuffling my Ipod rather than playing particular albums. Learned this from my friend Darren. It's awsome. Like that box o' chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get. Nothing like hearing a little Simon and Garfunkle, Led Zeppelin, Elliot Smith combo.

Well, that's it for now. You've been a wonderful audience.

2 Comments:

  • An offensive defensemen is another major need. Poti is awful. The power play has been a disaster.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 1:07 PM  

  • Actually, I have seen some improvement in Poti's game the last few games. While I would love to get rid of him, he's the closest thing to a puck carrying d-man they have

    By Blogger Elster, at 1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home