Elster's World

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

55 Alive!

This is my 55th post since I started blogging. Not exactly a world-beating accomplishment mind you, but I read somewhere that 50 is generally the make or break point for posting. In other words, once you hit 50, the excitement of blogging peters out and people once again hang up the keyboard for the remote control.

Well, I wrote post 50 (some garbage about the Knicks) not realizing it was post 50. I actually wanted to do something special for the 50 post milestone. Instead, I let it slip by and then followed that up with a solid post about Rabin and France and three posts bitching about how I was sick. So I went from 50 to 54 and let it get away from me.

So here is Special Post Number 55, in commemoration of post 50:

Why I write:

Writing is different things to different people. Some people write only when the absolutely, positively have no choice; either for work or school (or because they have to fill out the dreaded Significant Other Birthday Card). These people look at writing the way other people look at a 50 yard dash over hot coals - they despise the crap out of it. Heck, they even fear it. I don't get people like that, but then again, people like that don't get people like me.

Some people write because they are good at it. They don't love it, they don't hate it. Rather, they use their ability to write as a tool to get what they want or need. For example, a well placed letter to the cable company about how satellite TV services are recruiting you might get you free HBO for three months (No I have never tried this - I actually am a satellite customer anyway). Or, they have some really important ideas they want to get across (in blogs, articles, etc) and can persuasively set these ideas forth in ways that people can appreciate. They are blessed with a skill and they use it as necessary for gain or otherwise.

I like to think I fit into a third category. This category is full of all of those lost souls who write because they love to. Because writing takes them away from where they are and places them in the magic where they want to be. Writing for writing's sake. Generally, this world is filled with all kinds. I imagine that most writers of fiction are here because they want to be. (After all, all of us aspiring authors are told that if you write simply to make money, all you will write is garbage.)

But this place isn't just for the successful. Sure, Stephen King is here, sitting in a comfy leather chair next to a suddenly wacked out Anne Rice and across the table from Michael Crichton. Hell, even Tom Clancy and his military manuals (I mean novels) managed to get a seat in here. But you know who else is here? All of those people who have started seven novels on such diverse topics as detective stories, police stories, haunted houses and even an un-outineable epic about alternate worlds which run parallel to our own. Maybe these writers wrote just the first 2 paragraphs. Maybe they even got as far as 20 pages. But they are there because they love to put the pen to paper, the keyboard to computer screen.

I love to write because it takes me away from cruddy jobs and a stagnant workplace future. I love to write because I hope to one day entertain thousands of people with my words and humerous thoughts. I hope to make people hold the book hard, tense up, and read as fast as they can to see what happens next. I write because I want to get the hundreds of ideas flitting through my head on paper.

I write because I love it. I think I'm pretty good at it too. I hope that one day I can do it for a living, or at least have the daily leisure time to give it the care it deserves.

Now that's a fitting number 55 (to commemorate 50), don't you think?

6 Comments:

  • 50th...hrm...
    Maybe I'll do something for my 500th. :) But then, I'm a compulsive jotter-downer.

    Anyway, kudos to you! You do a great job!

    I happen to think there are more groups of why people write, but that's for another time. :)

    Keep it up, Elster.

    By Blogger BrownsvilleGirl, at 12:00 AM  

  • Congratulations, 55 is a decent number.
    How did you know btw? Did you count them or is there a place on Blogger that tells you that?

    By Blogger Pragmatician, at 4:36 AM  

  • Place on Blogger which tells you. When you initially sign in with Ipowerblogger, there is a running count.

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:35 AM  

  • Congrats on 55...I let my 50 pass too. Waiting for 100 now...very eloquently stated "why I write." I think many of us can see ourselves in your words...

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 10:47 PM  

  • i'm in category three with you.
    but sometimes i wonder if it's a blessing or a curse!
    :D

    By Blogger bec, at 11:37 PM  

  • Ah, 50 isn't TOO far along. When I hit 100...now that will be a big deal. Wonder if I can keep up the blogging even when I move out. I think I will. I mean it's part of life. Helps me organize my brain somewhat. Also, it's nice to get feedback.

    I like your reasons for writing and how you put it. I also love to write but I get rusty if I don't keep it up.

    By Blogger brianna, at 2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home