Elster's World

Friday, October 21, 2005

Thursday's Come and Gone

Howdy all. I notice that it's been a pretty slow blogging period, both for me and the "usual" blogs I often peruse. Maybe it's the weather, who knows? Anyway, some random thoughts for a Friday morning:

- How about those New York Rangers? (Fear not friends, this will be the only sports related post) For years true fans have begged for a rebuild, to play some younger talent. All we wanted was a hard working team. Well, all it took was a lockout to get it. The entire 2005-2005 season was lost, but damn if the Rangers aren't fun to watch. They skate around, they play hard. I've been waiting almost ten years to see this. So I guess I am happy that there was no season last year.

- How the seasons change. Nature is truly amazing. One day it's Indian Summer and then, out of the blue, the weather suddenly drops ten degrees, the wind comes out of the north and Fall is here. Perhaps the leaves began their endless descent in late August and the foliage is all now lost to brown, but Autumn has only just arrived. Yet as soon as we will become used to the chill in the air, Winter will have us in its vise-like grips, frozen and barren, until Spring rejuvinates the City once more.

There is great inspiration in the changing of the seasons, but it is specially reserved for those who are willing to open their eyes.

On a personal note, I hate winter. When I was a kid, I looked forward to snowfall; (i) because it was (is) beautiful, but really because (ii) a good snow meant no school. But now? Winter means flu shots, sick kids, muddy pants and a gawdawful commute to a gawdawful job; trains running late, people pissed off and overheating in my big puffy wintercoat. All in all, just a pain in the rear quarters.

- Book news: Not much to report. Letters go out, rejections come in. I recently sent a heartfelt letter to the agent of one of my favorite authors. I don't know if it will make a difference though. The feeling that I have created something that no one will ever really see wraps me up sometimes like a dirty cloak. I am taking a very positive view of the whole thing, I am trying to keep the faith, but in my heart of hearts....When the list of agents run out, I don't know where to turn to.

- On a related issue, my editor friend who I sent my manuscript to in April is getting married in like a month. My wife doesn't even want to go to the wedding. I can't really blame Mrs. Elster, though. My friend really let me down. Forget about the fact that she didn't jump all over it for me (which I would have done for one of my friends had the situation been reversed), but its been more than six months (that's a half a freaking year) and she still hasn't done anyhting. Nothing. No email, no calls, not even a "it's in my todo pile". I mean no offense, but that's bullshit. Even if she hated it, at least she should have the decency to let me know.

Anyway, I might be going to that wedding solo. Or, I might not go at all. I just know that whenever I think about the situation, it gets me feeling depressed. And yes, I did have a long email correspondence with her about it like three months ago. Whatever.

Well, that's about all I have for today. Wishing y'all a good weekend and a fine festival of succos (as applicable). Peace. Piece. Pieces.

12 Comments:

  • Let's not get too excited about the Rangers - they've now lost three games in a row.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 9:53 PM  

  • I don't get upset by overtime losses. At this point in the season, a point is a point.

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:54 PM  

  • last two games were just regular losses - no points.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 10:59 PM  

  • I used to love summer because it meant off from school.

    Now I realized I really love winter.

    Go figure. :)

    By Blogger BrownsvilleGirl, at 1:09 AM  

  • I love any day off of school. Unless the kids are there and I'm not. That equals a whole shload of extra work for Anysara, who anyways has to take the Yom Tov days unpaid. Somehow, this all does not seem fair... I'll have to be sick 41.25 times this year to use up my sick days...

    Oh, wait. This is your blog, Elster.

    Check out the website www.nanowrimo.org

    Did I already mention it to you? I signed up. Do you accept the challenge (maybe it'll take your mind off of your query letters).

    Ta ta.

    By Blogger AnySara, at 10:28 PM  

  • I signed up. Now what?

    By Blogger Elster, at 10:43 AM  

  • You wait until midnight on Monday and then write, write, write. You have all of November to write a brand new novel of at least 50,000 words - it can't be something you were already working on. It has to be fresh.

    On your mark, get set, go!

    By Blogger AnySara, at 12:12 PM  

  • Yeah, I signed up. Did you? I might just go for it. I have tio decide if I want to expend the energy writing what will for sure be garbage.

    By Blogger Elster, at 12:33 PM  

  • Hey, out of garbage, maybe you'll end up with a diamond in the rough. The point is, you'll get better. You'll write more regularly and things you once found to be difficult will get better with increased practice.

    I'm signed up and ready to go. No freakin' clue what I'm writing about yet, though.

    By Blogger AnySara, at 5:30 PM  

  • Hello friend. something strange happened: I looked at my profile and under favorit movies I saw: "OK?" to check what was the rest of it, I cliked on it and found myself in some place with a list of bloggers! I clicked on you and Found out that you are a writer. is that correct? you have written on "your favorite books", "the one I'm wrting."
    Anyway just wanted to say hello and I hope I'll talk to you and know you more, better.
    P.S. What are writing? Fiction or nonfiction?

    By Blogger GazanKhan, at 4:54 AM  

  • I read your post, I really know what you feel about the way the agent behaved. My friend has published 5 really successful books, each sold out in less that two-three months but still every time he has to get angry and swear at the publisher and take his book back and give it to another one just like the previous one!till it eventually get published. It's simply the way they enjoy, they love to make writers feel bad, get angry or deppressed, I don't know why; jealosy?
    May be most of them wish they were good writers themselves so they teas the real writer when ever they find the opportunity.(?)

    By Blogger GazanKhan, at 5:24 AM  

  • Elster, you are a good writer. the publishing industry is rife with stories of agents who missed the boat. Just keep at it. Your time will come. Don't let frustration get you down.

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 1:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home