Elster's World

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Early Warnings

Just a little warning for the regular reader(s). Anysara has hooked me onto this site where for November, which appears to be National Writer's Month, there is a challenge issued to write a novel (at least 50,000 words) in 30 days.

Well, nobody lays the smack down on Elster. So, I decided I'm gonna go for it. I already have my idea in place and while I cannot start writing for a few days, I can certainly contemplate. It will be, of course, a murder mystery. That's the phase I'm in right now. I actually have high hopes that it can be decent (though not very decent in 30 days - After I submit it, I'll have to clean it up dramatically).

So far, it looks like Anysara and Dayli are gonna give it a try. I invited McAryeh to give it a whirl. Anyone else who is in, drop me a line by commenting here. I think an online, blogworld support group might be helpfull. We can push each other to finish.

As for the title of this post: I'm pretty sure that if I am to complete this challenge, that book (working title: Fireflies at Midnight) will be all I am writing next month. I will check the blog daily of course, but don't know how much I'll be posting or commenting on other sites. Do not be alarmed, I'll be back with a vengeance whenever I (i) finish, (ii) drop out, or (iii) need a break.

Anywho, good luck to me and anyone else who accepts the challenge.

22 Comments:

  • http://www.nanowrimo.org/

    This is the site if anyone wants to check it out.

    By Blogger Elster, at 8:47 PM  

  • Bring it on!

    By Blogger AnySara, at 10:37 PM  

  • BEST OF LUCK!

    By Blogger BrownsvilleGirl, at 11:27 PM  

  • Great idea, Elster! I'm taking the challenge in a different way - trying to complete a novel I've been working on within 30 days. Would love to see the results of yours...

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 1:43 AM  

  • Welcome back Mc. Good to hear from you. Truth be told, writing a book in 30 days is a pretty daunting task. i actually have a good plot in my head. I'm going to try, but if it's not working out, I think I might slow it down and actually WRITE it.

    By Blogger Elster, at 5:17 PM  

  • Sounds like an excellent strategy - kind of a win-win situation.

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 9:20 PM  

  • That's really cool I'm gonna try it, not that I can think of any sort of plot at the moment, but I'll work on it. Thanx for the idea!

    By Blogger Confused, at 1:15 PM  

  • Hey confused. Though you fell off the planet. As for the book thing, you better have everything in place by ignight tonight or you will have virtually no chance to finish in the alloted 30 days.

    By Blogger Elster, at 1:42 PM  

  • I know im thinking its never goinng to happen cuz i cant think of anything to write about but maybe I'll just do it for fun. Any suggestions?!?!

    By Blogger Confused, at 2:07 PM  

  • Sorry - doesn't work that way. If an idea doesn't come from you, how can you truly write it?

    By Blogger Elster, at 2:17 PM  

  • Yea i know, you're right. I guess I'm just not in the frame of mind to do any real thinking right now. I'll have to skip this one. Good luck with yours though!

    By Blogger Confused, at 3:13 PM  

  • One of the things I'm currently saving up for is a two month sabatical - at home! I hope to spend summer 2006 finishing the book I started several months ago. Writing 8 hours a day, every day if not more. I'd have my finances taken care of, and not take any college courses during that time. It will be just a time to write as well as take stock of where I'm going in life.

    Two months of solid writing and sunshine. I can hardly wait.

    By Blogger brianna, at 9:15 PM  

  • Your plan is my dream partner.

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:20 PM  

  • Your plan is my dream partner.

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:21 PM  

  • On your mark, get set... GO!

    (I still don't have a complete idea of what I'm writing about).

    Ugh. Maybe it will come to me in a dream.

    By Blogger AnySara, at 10:26 PM  

  • so...how did the first day go?

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 6:23 PM  

  • 501 words. Now i am not feeling it though. I am not confident in thisa working out.

    By Blogger Elster, at 8:11 PM  

  • Don't stop, though, even if you have to slow it down to 200 words a day - try and keep the momentum going. For me, I am just aiming for writing towards the novel two hours every day, and whatever comes out of that, great...

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 10:40 PM  

  • 494 words this morning. Not much, but I like the way it's going so far. I'm keeping in mind that it doesn't have to be perfect and I'm trying to focus more on areas where I need improvement in my skill.

    Off to start the rest of the day.

    By Blogger AnySara, at 6:01 AM  

  • I'm over a thousand. But I hate it so far. The idea is there but the rushing is making me crank out garbage. I'm seriously considering scrapping speed and just writing a little every night...we shall see

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:05 AM  

  • Remember, it's the process...

    By Blogger AnySara, at 11:58 AM  

  • Oh and from the sad but true files - congrats to me for breaking the 20 comment barrier for the first time. Sad but true.

    By Blogger Elster, at 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home