Elster's World

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Seriously Dude, Chill Out

We interrupt our regularly scheduled nonsense to bring the bloggers of the Blogosphere the following public service announcement:

I was recently reading Joe Schick's blog (http://jschick.blogspot.com/) and by recently I mean like twenty minutes ago. He had a post about football. Some dude has a comment slamming him for writing about something as inane as football. Joe, the comment goes, you're a smart guy. Why are you writing about something as silly as football?

Huh? What's that supposed to mean? Here's what I don't get. I read something like twenty regular blogs daily (yes, there is some free time at work and in the evenings, my life is not 100% occupied with work and religious observance).

[And before I go any further, let me just say this. Personally, I don't care what anyone writes about. That certaily doesn't mean I agree with what people write, but I think everyone has a right to their own opinion and their own writing style. So no one should read any more into what comes next than the words actually on the screen. But I digress.]

But please bloggers, stop taking yourselves so damn seriously. And no, I do not have anyone specific in mind with this post. (In fact, most of those who am probably unconsciously targeting probably don't even give my blog the time of day - After all, I write unfinished stories and silly, wasteful anecdotes.)

Hey, I'm all for a good, well thought out essay on why Israel did/did not do the right thing with Disengagement. I am endlessly fascinated by the religious struggle by young people in places like Lakewood or Boro Park; people who are trying to break away from certain religious bonds while still living within a true religious framework. I think it's hard enough to find yourself in this world, how much more so when the shackles of some overly burdensome parent or leader clinch around your chest and leave you fighting for your breath. And I mean it, I really am all for these things. I find some of the posts on these subjects humerous, endearing, thought provoking and sometimes even heartbreaking.

But people, lighten up. Why can't there be room for both silly and serious? Did not Zeppelin play White Summer/Black Mountain Side? Is it really impossible to meld the two sides into a workable framework?

Some people hold from never over-posting; they write no more than once a week, maybe even less, and never sqeeuze out a thought or phrase that they haven't analyzed and dissected from every possible angle. Now I don't subscribe to that philosophy, but again, I don't argue with it either. I just say this: Live and let live. You might even learn something.

You don't have to agree with another's blog to enjoy it. You don't have to subscribe to a philosophy to get something out of it. There are plenty of poorly written, poorly thought-out blogs that still manage to set forth excellent thoughts and ideas. There are many extremely well written blogs that are pointless and overbearing. Then there are some blogs with no value to them at all except that they are flat out entertaining. Some are even a mixture of all three.

So whatever your bag, it's out there. But you need to start keeping a more open mind to what you are reading. People can pour just as much heart and soul into a post about music or sports or even, gasp television, as they do into the sorry state of religious wigitism in the state of Slonasia.

And if anyone feels like I'm kicking a soda can up their nose, I apologize in advance. I am not directing these comments at anyone in particular, but at blogger culture in general. But heck, it's my blog so I can write what I want (Sticks out tongue).

12 Comments:

  • I'd rather read your blog than a blog where people rant and rant about others. I mean, they can write what they want, I just prefer yours and other enjoyable blogs.

    By Blogger Lvnsm27, at 8:34 PM  

  • elster - i just started my blog - it's fun to be able to write and publish. btw - re your other post about getting work rejected - check out stephen king's non fiction book on writing for writers. he was rejected many times before finally getting a publisher. and look where he is now. good luck with your writing.

    By Blogger Mata Hari, at 9:03 PM  

  • MH: Look forward to reading your blog

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:05 PM  

  • Elster - Tell the guy to do what I do when you write about football... zzzzzzzzzzz......

    :)

    By Blogger AnySara, at 10:05 PM  

  • Always with the jokes. How are you doing Sara? Loing time no shmooze...

    By Blogger Elster, at 10:06 PM  

  • A "great, well-thought out essay" on blogging, Elster. Completely agree. Especially like the Zeppelin reference (THAT is something seriously lacking in most blogs). Did you make up kicking a soda can up your nose? Never heard that one before...but I like it...

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 11:23 PM  

  • am wavidly waiting your post on religious wigitism in the State of Slonasia.

    Otherwise, well put.

    TRK

    By Blogger The Rabbi's Kid, at 5:29 AM  

  • Responses:

    Ivn - Thanks for the (I think) compliment

    mata - can't wait to read your blog. You are always enjoyable reading on TRK


    Mc - it's sort of derivative o "kicking a 2 by 4 up your (you know what)" which I stole from somewhere else.


    TRK - THAT post would require the type of phony research that is rigth up my alley.

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:28 AM  

  • I agree, I blogsurf at least an hour several times per week, I have those that I visit regularly and when they write about a subject of no interest to me I simply skip it and move to another blog.

    By Blogger Pragmatician, at 11:57 AM  

  • That's the key Prag. If you're not interested, move on. I'd rather someone comments that they 100% disagree with me than "Why did you write this??"

    By Blogger Elster, at 10:58 AM  

  • i like your blog i bookmarked your web page
    keep it going

    By Blogger Y.Y., at 12:00 PM  

  • it was a compliment :)

    By Blogger Lvnsm27, at 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home