Elster's World

Monday, September 19, 2005

Because I Just Have To

So I was sitting at the computer last night, trying to squeeze out a blog entry. Why? Because it was time. This is not supposed to be a once a week blog. I want to write early and often. But last night, the words would not come. There were no ideas, no bright lights, no sparks of inspiration. Only a deep sense of tiredness and an endless expanse of blackness where my imagination lives. So I ended up staring at the screen digesting pizza and going to sleep at a stupidly late hour.

So now here I am; even more tired than last night and with even less to say. But goldernnit, a post will be written tonight. So, without further ado, a recap of the day (JOE, what you want is at the bottom. Feel free to scroll down):

Woke up early. Always a bad combination with going to sleep late. I went to play in my weekly pickup football game. As is the way my life is currently going, I ended up injuring myself on the very first play. I limped through the rest of the game, wondering if at the ripe old age of thirty-two it's time to hang up the cleats.

Now it's nightime. I prepared five more agent query letters for my wife to send out tomorrow. I have spoken to a number of professional writers who all told me the same thing; be prepared for a lot of rejection. Well, I have been rejected all right. And as prepared as I am (every time I open an envelope, I already know what it says), every form letter (sorry, they all say, this work is not for us) is a slap in the face. It's to the point where I dread writing the things.

The problem is that I have stopped writing book II as I wait for something (anything!!!) to develop with book I. Eh, whatever. I have thrown the whole thing up to my Higher Power. Whatever is meant to be will be. All I have to do is send the letters.

Oh yes, I also watched the Jet game today. A couple of thoughts - As always, feel free to stop reading:

- Curtis Martin still looks slow to the hole. But this week, he only looked half a step slow, not three steps slow. And on a couple of plays, he looked faster in the secondary than at any time last year. So we had improvement there. But I have never seen him stopped behind the line of scrimmage so many times in one game. The must have had negative yardage on at lease six or seven plays. Terrible. Derrick Blaylock looked ok, though.

Pennington started terribly but made some key plays when he needed to. He doesn't look like 2002 Chad but he didn't look like Last Week Chad either. 2 tds, no picks are certainly more Chad-like. His arm seemed to get stronger as the game wore on. And he didn't fumble six times either. The line also settled down which helped too. Adrian Jones may not have been as ready to step in for Kareem McKenzie as Bradway promised, but whatever.

The defense looked good. The Linebackers were quicker, the line got a better push, and Barrett looked like an NFL corner again. C'mon Joe, admit it, Ty Law is pretty awsome. He looks like he can still be a shut down corner.

3 more quick hits

- It will be tough to continue to hate John Abraham if he keeps playing like he did today.

- Ben Graham is the best Jet punter in the last 10 years. And yes I proclaim thuis after just 2 games.

- I'm a little concerned about Nugent though. he hit his one field goal attempt (41 yards split the uprights) but his kickoffs don't go very far. What will happen in the swirly winds of the Meadowlands in December?

9 Comments:

  • I'm still tired from the game (had to take the bus to the Port Authority - lots of traffic of the 3 East - then a train to Queens before my wife drove me the rest of the way). I'll probably post on my blog tomorrow. I do feel that the Martin's 31 rushes are inxcusable on the coaches' part.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 10:36 PM  

  • Elster - Save those rejection letters so you can frame them with pride next to the cover of your book once it's published....

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 2:21 AM  

  • Joe: Can I get the link to your blog again? I seem to have misplaced it.

    And yes, especially in the second half, the jets were NOT getting in done up the middle with Martin. Why not use wide receiver screens for three or four yards in lieu of the run? Why no quick slants to Justin Mceiriens? And yes, I have no idea how to spell his name. I heard Ian Eagle say at some point in the 4th quarter that Vilma had 15 tackles. Do you think Reed made more of an impact in game 2? And how come Shaun Ellis hasnt made a play in 2 games???

    Mc: I sincerely hope you are correct. One of my favorite authors, James Lee Burke, wrote a novel (his first) called The Lost Get Back Boogie. It was rejected by over 100 publishers (not agents, publishers). mr. Burke writes that he is quite sure that is a record. Long story short, it was finally published, won a major award, and now Mr. Burke has written more than 20 novels; The lesson: I'm trying not to give up hope. 5 more going out today so fingers crossed.

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:32 AM  

  • I will check out James Lee Burke. Would you recommend starting with his first nivel first?

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 9:45 AM  

  • Hmmm - tough question. He has written 2 series as well as stand alone novels. It would help if I knew what kind of taste you have. His finest works are the Dave Robicheaux series but if you don't like crime fiction, I don't know if you'll like it.

    By Blogger Elster, at 10:01 AM  

  • http://jschick.blogspot.com

    I'm not a fan of Reed. It's actually difficult for me to assess the play of Ellis or Reed because I was at the game, and as you know, it's easier when at the game to watch the secondary and linebackers.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 10:33 AM  

  • elster,

    Just realized I know someone who might have some helpful ideas for your book. I don't see an e-mail address on this site or in your profile; feel free to e-mail me (address is on my site) for more details.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 2:16 PM  

  • my last rejection letter is hanging on my fridge. i framed several of them already.
    keep sending those queries in, someone will pick up your book!
    (i should follow my own advice. i've been a bit lax on getting queries out lately...so thanks for the inspiration. i know what i'll be doing!)

    By Blogger bec, at 12:45 AM  

  • I am thrilled to be your inspiration Bec. In the meantime, I have a sweet little pile of agent rejection letters, growing by the handfull each time I send out another wave. Now I know everyone gets rejected alot but it still feels like crap/

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home