Elster's World

Monday, August 22, 2005

The Journey, Part I

Many a past Elster blog has centered on my complaining about the lack of progress in getting my recently completed manuscript seen by the Right People (i.e. agents, publishers, people who can actually gt it in book stores). Accordingly, many a past comment on Elster's World has centered on people's helpfull suggestions/sympathy/shared war stories on the same topic.

Over the last few weeks a couple of things have happened. First, I read a book on how to get published. Second, a period of bad luck on the ol' Jewish calendar has passed.

So I've decided. No more bitching and moaning. Now it's time for action. The only person who can get my book to these mysterious and hard to get to Right People is, well, me. And for all of you out there who have shown an interest in a comatriot, this is for you. Every time I take positive steps towards my goal, I am going to record them on this blog in entries called The Journey; hopefully the journey of a manuscript from being written, to getting an agent, to getting a publisher, to becoming a bestseller and, finally, for me to sell the movie rights to Miramax for a cool three million dollars.

So here was tonight's progress: I re-drafted my cover/query agent letter, stuck in some sample chapeters and the SASE, and sent out the new and improved package to three agents. Tomorrow night, the plan is out sent three more. And so on.

Cross your fingers everyone...

4 Comments:

  • Sounds like a good plan, Elster. Only now that the Weinsteins have left Miramax, maybe go for Focus Features for the movie rights.....here's hoping the process is smooth and quick for you.

    By Blogger MC Aryeh, at 12:55 AM  

  • Have you read "Getting Published for Dummies"? Seriously. I plan to buy it as soon as I've finished my book. I read it when I go to Borders. This is the website of one of my favorite authors - she offers some succinct and sage advice for getting published:

    http://www.dianagabaldon.com/

    Go to "Writer's Corner". I promise. It's good stuff.

    By Blogger AnySara, at 4:58 PM  

  • The problem with getting advice from published authors (and I have spoken with 2 very well-known ones - one of whom is an acclaimed bestselling novelist [Go me])is two-fold.

    1) Every case is different. What worked for the goose may not work for the gander.

    2) They sometimes forget what it's like to be young and unpublished. One of the people I spoke to, when he heard I was working on my sequal already, said to me: "I never write a book before I have sent 20 or 30 pages to a publisher first." 9Stops, thinks) "Of course, I have a contract in place by then..." Thanks alot there pal.

    By Blogger Elster, at 5:23 PM  

  • Seriously, dude, check it out.

    By Blogger AnySara, at 5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home