Elster's World

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

I love sports. Anyone who reads my blog can see healthy doses of sports (and popular culture) sprinkled in here.

And of all sports, football will always hold a special place in my heart. It is my favorite sport to watch, to follow and to play. I still play every Sunday from Fall through Spring (for the observant out there, from the week after Succos until the week before Pesach). Professional football is the best of all sports to watch because each game is so important. There are, after all, only 16 games on the regular season schedule. Not 80+ and not 162. Every game is life and death so the intensity level is through the roof.

Why do I mention this now? Because training camps are open, that's why! In Hempstead, New York, my squad, the New York Jets, are practicing twice a day in 90 plus degree heat. They are sweating and training and being yelled at (and perhaps suffering from severe dehydration too) so that when the real action begins in early September, they will be ready to play at the highest level on Sundays.

The Jets made the playoffs last year and were a missed Doug Brien field goal (2 actually, the bastard) away from playing the Patriots in the AFC Championship game. Would they have won? Of course not. They would have had it handed to them. But still...

Anyway, we (read I) have high expecations for the team this year. The players have high expectations for themselves. They say nothing short of a Super Bowl is acceptable. I'm just looking forward to a good season, when the last 6 games mean as much as the first 10.

Go Jets.

PS: I have resisted the urge to do position by position player analysis because I'm afraid I might put someone nto a coma. So you're welcome.

10 Comments:

  • Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    By Blogger AnySara, at 5:38 PM  

  • I am here only to serve my readers.

    By Blogger Elster, at 5:50 PM  

  • I never understood the fascination with following sports; I can understand liking to practice them, but just watch others do it?
    Being happy or sad because total strangers won or lost?
    Beyond my comprehension.

    By Blogger Pragmatician, at 10:09 AM  

  • Well, sports is like that. You love watch it or you don't. Everyone's different.

    By Blogger Elster, at 11:06 AM  

  • I'm with you on sports, NFL especially. In my opinion, the Lions are going to have a dominating breakout year and this is hopefully the year breaks the Elway retirement not making it past the 1st year send Jerry Rice out with a superbowl year...

    But the Jets? C'mon :)

    By Blogger The Real Neo, at 1:15 PM  

  • Puhleeze tailor. You're putting your hopes on Joey Harrington? Good luck with that.

    By Blogger Elster, at 1:30 PM  

  • I can vouch for the Tailors sports credentials. He is obsessed (alters his learning seder to accomodate Monday Night Football). Luv ya 2Ts!

    By Blogger AnySara, at 3:26 PM  

  • No, i'm pinning my hopes on Jeff Garcia. harrington is garbage and can only hope to attain the level of choking of say, Chad pennington :0 Garcia has the skills, look at what he did in Frisco and he didnt have the receiving core he has in d-town. The switch will be made.

    Thank you anysara, right back at ya!

    By Blogger The Real Neo, at 2:03 AM  

  • I'm sorry you didn't post a position by position analysis. I would do so on my blog but am holding off on writing about sports due to the impending evacuation of Gaza and northern Samaria.

    -Joe Schick

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 9:46 PM  

  • Um, me too. Perhaps right before the season opener...

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home