Elster's World

Monday, July 25, 2005

The Top 100

Wow - slow work day, thus the unprecedented three post-day. Actually, I HAVE posted three times in one day before but still...

I was looking at my profile (I do that sometimes to help remember who I am) and I saw that I was planning on posting my Top 100 movies of all time list here. The Top 100 was an idea I stole from my buddy Yoni. The process was an immense undertaking. I made three lists; The Locks, The Probables and the Fillers. I guess it's pretty self explanatory. As of this printing (haha) I have 40 locks, 49 probables and 15 fillers. And oh my, the fillers are bad movies. All of my guilty pleasures (Deep Blue Sea, Legend , From Dusk Till Dawn) have managed to make their way onto that list. But I digress.

Obviously, the list is not finished, though I guess you could argue that if you take the Locks and the Probables, you are at 89, thus being almost finished. Course, there's that whole pesky numbering thing, but again I digress.

Quick rule: I don't pretend these are the greated 100 movies ever made. Far from it. You will not find the AFI's Top 100 here, nary a "Rosebud" whisper in sight. Rather, these are the flicks that have touched ME, me and only me in some wat. You don't agree? Awsome. Just means that you and I are different and that's a good thing for both of us.

I figure that you can really learn alot about a person by the types of movies they like (unless, of course, the reader doesn't watch movies or hasn't seen the same ones - but I digress yet again). So here goes, in no particular order, some of my favorites with commentary. Enjoy:

Field of Dreams: To this day remains one of the only movies that keeps getting better every time I watch it. When Moonlight Graham steps over the first base line, it gets dusty in the room every time.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (as one, Director's cut especially for the third): My favorite books as a child. Potential to have been destroyed. Instead, Peter Jackson read my mind and seemingly put my vision on the screen. He can make another 100 The Frighteners and it won't make a damn bit of difference to me.

Star Wars: Second movie I ever say in a movie theater (the first was the In Laws - don't ask). I was just pulled in from the opening scene. I spent the next 8 years wanting to be Han Solo. I have never wanted to be anyone else for that long.

Pulp Fiction: The movie started an entire genre of pretenders. Including some of Tarantino's later works. This one stands out. Genius.

The Road Warrior: Absolutely the finest post-apocalyptic vision ever put on screen. The juice is everything. Also, finest truck chase scene ever filled. Not to mention a character described as the Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla. Wow. "Two days ago I saw a rig big enough to haul that tanker. You want to get out of here? You talk to me." Goosebumps.

Jaws: Anyone who watches this and sees a horror movie about sharks doesn't quite get this film. Roy Scheider's finest work (and yes, I now that's not saying much).

Platoon: Works on many different levels. When I saw it as a kid, it was just a great, rip-roaring action film. Then it was a great study on human reactions to crazy situations. Whichever. Sort of like Apocalypse Now, only it actually makes sense.

Untouchables: This movie was so good, even Kevin Costner was watchable. No small feat. Sean Connery deserves a lifelong pass into the Irish Actors Hall of Fame. So many good lines including this humdinger: "Just like a WOP, brings a knife to a gun fight."

Aliens: I know what you're saying. Huh? Aliens? The one with Sigorney Weaver? The sequel? YES YES YES!! It's only the best action movie ever made.

Ace Ventura, Pet Detective: If only because it was the first movie in over ten years to actually make me laugh the whole time. No small feat.

Schindler's List: Nothing need be said.

The Longest Yard: And for the record, the remake never happened.

Cool Hand Luke: Watch this movie and then tell me you don't like Paul Newman as an actor. Not possible. Really understated performace from an actor bred in the times of overacting.

Hoosiers: As any sports fan knows, this is the best movie ever made about basketball (with apologies to Jesus Shuttlesworth). It might also be the greatest sports movie too. Hell, it's just a great movie.

A Few Good Men: Though to be honest, I couldn't watch this movie any more even before the whole "Tom Cruise is insane" phenomenon.

Blade Runner: Not the weirdo director's cut either. The original. Sure it made no sense. Who cares? What a vision of the future. What work by Harrison Ford. Also put a pre-bloated Rutger Hauer on my radar.

The original Matrix: Sure it has more holes than Bonnie and Clyde's car. This movie was a superb piece of eye candy.

Beautiful Girls: Before there was Garden State, there was Beautiful Girls. 13 year old Natalie Portman just steals this movie.

Good Will Hunting: From my Probables list. But just saw it again. Amazing movie. What the hell happened to Be Affleck? Why did he become a paycheck whore but Matt Damon became Jason Bourne? Truly one of life's great mysteries.

Well, that's it for now. But this list kinda gives you a feel for me besides just being part of a greater list. And remember, each one of these movies comes with Elster's 100% guaranty. I guaranty 100% that these movies are on my list.

Later.

2 Comments:

  • not bad, could have said more about Staw wars. i always wanted to be a storm trooper, still do as a matter of fact. Interesting list, don't think i woud include schlinder or blade runner but I like your style kid. What about the Godfather? Well, maybe I'll make my own list.

    By Blogger The Real Neo, at 7:05 PM  

  • Finally: Its been killing me that no one has commented on this post. it was the longest to write. Fools. Never been a huge Godfather guy. As for star wars, it probbaly made a bigger impression on me than any other film.

    By Blogger Elster, at 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home