Elster's World

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Write Me a Song of the Piano Man

Once upon a time there was a young boy who thought that, simply put, Billy Joel was the finest musical performer in history. And such a fine choice it was. The man could sing, he could write music; what better choice could this young boy have for a musical hero?

Those were simpler times. And that simple boy, of course, has grown into a more complex man.

Read that again.

Who is that boy? That boy is all of us. Forget the Billy Joel part. For you it might have been Cindi Lauper or MBD. Maybe you didn't even like music. It doesn't matter. That child was all of us.

Robert R. McCammon wrote a book called Boy's Life. It is the story of a young boy's loss of innocence in a simpler time than the one we live in today. In his post-script, Mr. McCammon writes that every single child is born with magic in his or her heart.

That magic is adulted out of us. We grow up and learn to ignore the magic. We take the place in our souls where the magic is and we fill it in with "responsibility", "duty" and "all that jazz".

How did it come to this? Why did we let it happen? Who am I kidding? I have no answers to these questions, only more questions. But I will say this. I cling to what's left of my magic with everything I have; like a life raft in the deep blue sea. I look for magic in the beauty of a cloudless blue sky. I see it in the red bird perched on my deck. I live it in the worlds of my children. I search for it in books and movies and television shows like Lost.

Scoffers may think me foolish. They use the "real world" like a shield or worse, like a surgical instrument with which to cut out the magic from their own hearts as though it was cancer. But who is the fool, he who tries to keep a treasure or he who tosses it away as carelessly as a chocolate bar wrapper on the highway? Exactly.

Wow - lotsa heavy blogging here the last few days. I want to go a little lighter. As usual, suggestions are always welcome.

2 Comments:

  • Wow... your post hits home.. I will read on... thanks for "coming out" on my blog ;-)

    By Blogger Malka, at 6:20 PM  

  • Hello! I'm newbie in Internet, can you give me some useful links? I know only about Yahoo [url=http://yahoo.com]Yahoo[/url] http://yahoo.com Yahoo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home