Elster's World

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Mediocrity Sucks

And no, I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about your 2005 New York Mets. Look, I know that, while Omar Minaya did a good job of upgrading the talent since last year's trainwreck, we weren't exactly looking at a hundred win team here. But even so, this constant up and down is painfull. Lose 5, win nine. Lose 4 win three. You have to love see-saw sports. Or do you??

I should be used to it. You'd figure that a lifetime spent rooting for average (and that's being generous my friends) teams would have prepared me for this. Mets, Jets, Knicks, Rangers. 32 years, exactly 2 world champions ('86 Mets, '94 Rangers). To quote ESPN.com's Bill Simmons, not good times.

Is it bad that I would contemplate exchanging my spleen for a Jets Super Bowl victory? Is it bad that I contemplate the murder of Isaiah Thomas for taking a terrible, salary cap stuck team and making it even worse; for being the punchline of the NBA beat writers? Ugh. Is it bad that while I love Herm Edwards, I constantly find myself wondering if I am a better game coach than him.

Yes, it is bad. But that's sports baby. It's life and death. That's why we love love it. If it didn't bring out our passions, it would be, well, chess.

8 Comments:

  • I hope you dont mind me commenting. I wanted to tell you, your writing style is very user friendly.

    By Blogger Tuches, at 11:50 AM  

  • keep it up.

    By Blogger Tuches, at 11:50 AM  

  • Thank you. Feel free to keep reading.

    By Blogger Elster, at 2:35 PM  

  • "Is it bad that I would contemplate exchanging my spleen for a Jets Super Bowl victory? ... Is it bad that while I love Herm Edwards, I constantly find myself wondering if I am a better game coach than him."

    No, it's just the life of a Jets fan.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 3:46 PM  

  • Just saw your comment Joe. Yep, but you wouldn't trade it for another team right? Exactly.

    By Blogger Elster, at 10:56 AM  

  • Just saw your post Joe. Agree one hundred percent. And you'd never trade it in for another team either.

    By Blogger Elster, at 11:54 AM  

  • Trade the Jets in? Is that possible? I consider it an abusive relationship that I'm permanently stuck in.

    BTW, I mentioned this post at my blog - www.jschick.blogspot.com

    Let's go Mets and Rangers.

    So sorry you're a Knicks fan.

    By Blogger Joe Schick, at 2:29 PM  

  • Thanks dude.

    By Blogger Elster, at 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home